The Louisville Bats have unveiled the team’s Opening Day roster, which is highlighted by five of the Cincinnati Reds’ top 10 prospects according to Baseball America. The Bats will also feature right-handed pitcher Matt Klinker, who spent some time at Madisonville North Hopkins High School before moving to Ohio. Check out the full roster below:
- RHP — Scott Carroll — Kansas City, Mo. — 3rd Round (2007)
- LHP — Tom Cochran — Wilmington, Del. — 20th round, Red Sox (2003)
- RHP — Carlos Fisher — West Covina, Cal. — 11th round (2005)
- RHP — Jerry Gil — San Pedro de Macoris, DR — FA, D’Backs (1999)
- LHP — Daniel Ray Herrera — Odessa, Tex. — 45th round (2006)
- LHP — Jeremy Horst — Cheyenne, Wyo. — 21st round (2007)
- RHP — David Johnson — Los Angeles, Cal. — 15th round, Brewers (2004)
- RHP — Matt Klinker — Peru, Ind. (Madisonville, Ky.) — 15th round (2007)
- LHP — Joseph Krebs — Denton, Tex. — 14th round (2007)
- RHP — Kyle McCulloch — Houston, Tex. — 1st round, White Sox (2006)
- RHP — Chad Reineke — Defiance, Ohio — 13th round, Astros (2004)
- LHP — Dontrelle Willis — Oakland, Cal. — 8th round, Cubs (2000)
- Devin Mesoraco — Dubois, Penn. — 1st round (2007)
- Corky Miller — Yucaipa, Cal. — NDFA (1998)
- 1B — Yonder Alonso –Havana, Cuba — 1st round (2008)
- SS — Zack Cozart — Memphis, Tenn. — 2nd round (2007)
- 1B — Daniel Dorn — San Dimas, Cal. — 32nd round (2006)
- 1B — Michael Griffin — Corpus Christi, Tex. — 14th round (2005)
- SS — Kris Negron — Willingboro, N. J. — 7th round, Red Sox (2006)
- 2B — Chris Valaika — Santa Monica, Cal. — 3rd Round (2006)
- Brian Barton — Los Angeles, Cal. — NDFA (2004)
- Todd Frazier — Point Pleasant, N. J. — 1st supp. round (2007)
- Jeremy Hermida — Atlanta, Ga. — 1st round, Marlins (2002)
- Dave Sappelt — Graham, N. C. — 9th round (2008)
Logan Robbins bats vs. UK in 2010; BluGrass Baseball photo
Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Western Kentucky University junior shortstop Logan Robbins was named Sun Belt Conference player of the week.
- University of Kentucky freshman right fielder J. T. Riddle, who was the BluGrass Baseball freshman of the week, has been named the Southeastern Conference freshman of the week.
- The Oakland Athletics have optioned former UofL right-handed pitcher Trystan Magnuson to AAA Sacramento.
- The Louisville Bats‘ 2011 roster is starting to take shape after the Cincinnati Reds optioned left-handed pitcher Daniel Ray Herrera, shortstop Kris Negron, infielder Zack Cozart, first baseman Yonder Alonso, right-handed pitcher Carlos Fisher, right-handed pitcher Jordan Smith and utility man Todd Frazier to Louisville.
- Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports the Rangers pushed back Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb‘s batting practice session to Wednesday or Thursday due to rain. Grant notes Webb will begin his rehab by alternating starts between AAA Round Rock and AA Frisco depending on which team is home.
- John Wagner, writing for Baseball America, reports now that former UK first baseman Ryan Strieby is healthy his path to the Tigers’ MLB roster is still blocked by Miguel Cabrera. (subscription required)
- Dick Kaegel of MLB.com reports Elizabethtown native Nathan Adcock is among eight candidates still in the running for the final five spots in the Kansas City Royals’ bullpen.
Colling Cowgill; Photo: UK Athletics
Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Mike Marsee of the Danville Advocate-Messenger profiles Boyle County High School pitcher Jacob Bodner and his rise up the recruiting rankings.
- Jared Macarin examines the life of minor league baseball players off the field in the first half of a two-part story for the Mobile Press-Register. Macarin’s story’s relies heavily on the off-field exploits of Lexington native and former UK outfielder Collin Cowgill.
- Jason Stella of the Louisville Bats media relations department profiles relief pitcher Jared Burton, who he reports is regaining his major league form.
- Matt Thacker of the Evening News and Tribune reports Bats left-handed reliever Daniel Ray Herrera was arrested in Clarksville, Ind., early Wednesday morning for public intoxication.
- Kendall Rogers of Yahoo! Sports and Rivals.com talks with collegiate Team USA head coach Bill Kinneberg, who lists University of Louisville infielder Ryan Wright among the most impressive players on the roster this summer.