The only UK alum with a world series win was back in action last night gearing up for a defense of his title. Check out that story and more in today’s hot links:
- UK alum Joe Blanton picked up his 11th win of the season with seven shutout innings for the Phillies.
- Louisville native Dan Uggla hit his 30th home run of the season for Florida.
- Former Bat Edwin Encarnacion hit two home runs for the Blue Jays.
- Mark Reynolds Home Run Record Watch: 1-5, 1 2b, 1 R, 1 RBI
- The Bowling Green Daily News reports on Matthew Moore being named the Hot Rods’ MVP and Anthony Scelfo being named one of seven finalists for the Erik Walker Community Champin Award.
Just a few quick major league box scores to get your Monday morning sta
- Bowling Green native Corey Hart hit his 12th home run of the season for the Brewers.
- Former Bat Edwin Encarnacion hit his ninth home run for Toronto.
- Former Bat Kip Wells won for Cincinnati behind former Bat Corky Miller’s first home run.
- Mark Reynolds Home Run Record Watch: 0-4, 1 SO
Tuesday marked the official expansion of MLB rosters from 25 to 40. While no team actually carries 40 players during the “September Callup” period, many teams bring some young players up from the minor leagues to either reinforce their team for a playoff run or have and extended audition for next season. We’ll use this post to keep track of any players with Kentucky ties that are called up to the big leagues as minor league seasons end. Major-league players who were activated from the disabled list because of the expanded rosters are also noted. New additions are bolded.
- C A. J. Ellis — Los Angeles Dodgers — Dunbar Class of 1999
- RHP Matt Belisle — Colorado Rockies — 2003-2004 Louisville Bats
- C Ryan Hannigan — Cincinnati Reds — 2007-2009 Louisville Bats
- OF Corey Hart (DL) — Milwuakee Brewers — Greenwood High
- LHP Matt Maloney — Cincinnati Reds — 2009 Louisville Bats
- RHP Carlos Fisher — Cincinnati Reds — 2009 Louisville Bats
- 3b Chris Johnson — Houston Astros –2007 Lexington Legends
- SS Tommy Manzella — Houston Astros — 2006 Lexington Legends
- 3b Edwin Encarnacion (DL) — Toronto Blue Jays — 2005-2007 Louisville Bats
- RHP Todd Wellemeyer (DL) — St. Louis Cardinals — Bellarmine
- LHP Pedro Viola — Cincinnati Reds — 2009 Louisville Bats
- 2B Brooks Conrad — Atlanta Braves — 2003 Lexington Legend
- RHP Matt Albers — Baltimore Orioles — 2004 Lexington Legends
- 1B Kevin Barker — Cincinnati Reds — 2009 Louisville Bats
- RP Ramon Ramirez — Cincinnati Reds — 2009 Louisville Bats
The Blue Jays activated former UK pitcher Scott Downs from the disabled list Monday and added former Louisville Bat and Cincinnati Red Edwin Encarnacion to the DL to make room for Downs on the 25-man roster. Downs has served as Toronto’s closer this season and is 1-3 with a 3.41 ERA and nine saves in 12 opportunities. Toronto manager Cito Gaston said he wasn’t sure if Downs would return to his closer role.
In other Kentucky transactions, the Reds placed catcher Ryan Hannigan and outfielder Chris Dickerson on the disabled list and promoted catcher Corky Miller and outfielder Darnell McDonald from Louisville.
The non-waiver trade deadline came and went today with only one deal involving players with Kentucky ties. In a deal that just sneaked in before the deadline the Cincinnati Reds sent Louisville Bats reliever Zach Stewart and former Bats Josh Roenicke and Edwin Encarnacion to the Blue Jays for third baseman Scott Rolen.