Logan Darnell; BluGrass Baseball photo
Highlights from Friday Kentucky MiLB action:
- Second baseman Wilkin Castillo drove home the winning run in the bottom of the ninth inning to send the Louisville Bats to a 2-1 victory over Columbus. Cuban phenom Aroldis Chapman struck out the side in the ninth inning for the win and reportedly hit 105 mph on the radar gun.
- The Lexington Legends scored two runs in the top of the ninth inning to earn a 5-3 win over Kannapolis. Center fielder Grant Hogue was 4-5 with a double and two runs scored.
- The Bowling Green Hot Rods pitching staff struck out a club-record 18 batters in a 12-6 win over Lake County. Right fielder Brett Nommensen drove in four run in the win.
- Former UK left-handed pitcher and 2010 Twins draftee Logan Darnell earned the win for rookie-level Elizabethton after pitching six shutout innings.
- Former UK infielder and 2010 Twins NDFA Gunner Glad supported Darnell with his second home run of the season for rookie-level Elizabethton.
- Former UK infielder Michael Bertram slugged his 11th home run of the season for AAA Toledo.
- Former Murray St. first baseman and 2010 Padres draftee Wes Cunningham extended his hitting streak to 10 games with a 1-2, two walk performance for short-season Eugene.
- Lexington Catholic alum Ben Revere returned from his DL stint for AA New Britain with an 0-3 performance.
- Trinity alum Tyler Kuhn was 3-4 with a home run and double for AA Birmingham.
Zack Cox; University of Arkansas photo
Highlights from Wednesday Kentucky MiLB action:
- One-time Madisonville resident Matt Klinker couldn’t earn a victory in his return to the Louisville Bats, who suffered a 6-2 loss to Indianapolis. Third baseman Juan Francisco and left fielder Todd Frazier each homered in the game.
- The Lexington Legends surrendered over 10 runs in a game for the second time this month in a 13-1 loss to Kannapolis. Center fielder Grant Hogue was 2-3 for Lexington.
- The Bowling Green Hot Rods opened their final homestand of the season with a 3-1 loss to Lake County. Center fielder Dustin Bell homered for Bowling Green.
- PRP alum and 2010 Cardinals first-round pick Zack Cox made his professional debut with a 4-5 performance for the rookie-level GCL Cardinals.
- One-time UK outfielder Jason Kipnis was 3-5 with a double and two runs scored for AA Akron.
- Former UK outfielder and 2010 Braves NDFA Keenan Wiley was 4-5 with a double and run scored for rookie-level Danville.
- Former WKU left-handed pitcher and 2010 Twins draftee Bart Carter earned his second win of the season with four scoreless innings of relief for the rookie-level GCL Twins.
- Former Union College right-handed pitcher Marty Popham posted a quality start for high A Kinston but took a no decision after surrendering three runs in six innings.
- Former Bellarmine infielder and 2010 Mariners draftee Patrick Brady slugged his first professional home run for the rookie-level AZL Mariners.
- Hawesville native and 2010 Orioles draftee Michael Mosby was 3-4 for the rookie-level GCL Orioles.
Chris Rusin; Photo: UK Athletics
Highlights from Tuesday Kentucky MiLB action:
- Six different Louisville Bats‘ batter tallied two hits and three hit at least one home run in the Bats’ 9-7 loss to Indianapolis. Third baseman Juan Francisco was 2-5 with two solo home runs.
- The Bowling Green Hot Rods scored a single run in the top of the 11th inning to record a 3-2 win over Fort Wayne. Right fielder Brett Nommensen was 3-5 and homered for the third time in four games, and starting pitcher Kyle Lobstein struck out eight battes in six and one-third innings.
- Lexington Legends right-handed pitcher Tanner Bushue fell to 4-5 on the season in the Legends’ 9-5 loss to Augusta. Legends center fielder Grant Hogue was 3-4 with a run scored.
- Former UofL third baseman Chris Dominguez was 1-5 with a double and two RBI for Augusta.
- Former UK second baseman Chris Bisson recorded his first multi-hit game as a professional with a 3-5 performance for short-season Eugene.
- Former UK right-handed pitcher Chris Rusin earned his third win of the season for high A Daytona after surrendering just one hit in seven scoreless innings. He struck out seven and walked none.
- Former UK outfielder Collin Cowgill was 4-5 with a home run, two RBI and two runs scored for AA Mobile. He has hits in four straight games and has homered in his last two contests.
- Former EKU infielder Neil Sellers was 3-4 with a double, RBI and run scored for AAA Lehigh Valley.
- Former Campbellsville catcher Richie Rowland was 1-5 for rookie-level Missoula to extend his hitting streak to 13 games.
- Paducah native and 2010 draftee Jonathan Roof made his professional debut for the AZL Rangers with a pinch-hit RBI double.
The Lexington Legends have announced their 2010 Opening Day roster after the parent club Houston Astros confirmed Minor League player assignments Sunday. The team will be headlined by 2009 first-round pick shortstop Jiovanni Mier, ranked the No. 2 prospect in the Astros’ organization by Baseball America. Fourteen of the new Legends were 2009 draft picks. Pitchers David Duncan, Arcenio Leon and Jose Trinidad, infielder Kody Hinze and infielder-outfielder Andy Simunic each spent part of 2009 with the Legends and catcher Jonathan Fixler was a Legend in 2008. Four Opening Day Legends were ranked by Baseball America as one of the top 30 prospects in the Astros’ organization, and I’ve included their rankings in parentheses when applicable. Each pitcher is listed by throwing arm, and batters’ information is listed bats/throws. (Numbers have not yet been assigned.)
- RHP — Bushue, Tanner (BA #7) — 2nd round (2009)
- RHP — Cisnero, Jose — NDFA (2007)
- RHP — Clark, Kirk — FA (2009)
- RHP — Donovan, Robert — 23rd round (2009)
- LHP — Duncan, David — 5th round (2008)
- RHP — Leon, Arcenio (BA #19) — NDFA (2005)
- RHP — MacDonald, James — 18th round (2009)
- RHP — Minaya, Juan — NDFA (2008)
- LHP — Pitkin, Colton — 41st round (2007)
- RHP — Sarisky, Daniel — 40th round (2009)
- RHP — Schurz, Michael — 44th round (2009)
- RHP — Trinidad, Jose — NDFA (2006)
- RHP — Walker, Brandt — 8th round (2009)
- Fixler, Jonathan — R/R — 19th round (2007)
- Garcia, Rene — R/R — 35th round (2008)
- Altuve, Jose — R/R — NDFA (2006)
- Arrendell, Miguel — L/R — NDFA (2006)
- Bray, Aaron — L/R — 27th round (2009)
- Hinze, Kody — R/R — FA 2008
- Meyer, Jonathan (BA #18) — S/R — 3rd round (2009)
- Mier, Jiovanni (BA#2) — R/R — 1st round (21st overall pick) (2009)
- Simunic, Andrew — R/R — 17th round (2008)
- Goebbert, Jacob — L/L — 13th round (2009)
- Hogue, Grant — S/R — 35th round (2009)
- Kemp, Brian — R/R — 19th round (2009)
- Martinez, Julio — R/R — 20th round (2009)