- The Morehead News reports the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League will be adding a team in Morehead for the 2011 summer season. The team will be called the Eastern Kentucky Ridgerunners.
- Western Kentucky University redshirt junior right-handed pitcher Rye Davis and Eastern Kentucky University senior right-handed pitcher Ryne Purcell have been named to the watch list for the 2011 Stopper of the Year Award, given by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association to the nation’s best relief pitcher.
- Matt Eddy of Baseball America reports right-handed pitcher Chris Jakubauskas, the only former Florence Freedom player to ever reach the major leagues, signed a minor-league contract with the Baltimore Orioles.
- The University of Louisville has released its 2011 broadcast schedule, which will include 36 regular season games and all post-season games on KOOL 1570 AM in Clarksville, Ind.
Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Baseball America ranked University of Kentucky junior catcher Michael Williams the No. 4 prospect in the New England Collegiate League. (subscription required)
- In its top 10 prospects list for the Great Lakes League, BA ranks Lexington native and Lexington Hustlers infielder Justin Riddell the No. 9 propsect in the league. (subscription required)
- One-time UK infielder Jason Kipnis was named the second baseman on BA’s 2010 Minor League all-star team. Former Bowling Green Hot Rods left-handed pitcher Matt Moore was included on the first-team as a starting pitcher, and Louisville Bats catcher Devin Mesoraco was selected to the second team.
- The Tampa Bay Rays announced they have extended their player development contract with the Bowling Green Hot Rods through the 2012 season.
Lexington Hustlers designated hitter Travis Redmon and outfielder and Lexington native Justin Riddell were selected to the first team All Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League postseason team. Redmond batted .343 with a home run, 14 RBI and 18 runs scored for Lexington this summer. Riddell finished the season fourth in the league in batting with a .385 batting average. He also slugged five home runs and drove in 28 in 39 games.
As a junior in the 2010 season Redmon, a Lexington Catholic graduate, batted .333 with seven home runs for Morehead State University. Riddell, a rising senior and Redmon’s former teammate at Lexington Catholic, led all University of Cincinnati batters with a .313 batting average. He slugged eight home runs and drove in 29 in 53 games. (All GLSCL Team)
- University of Louisville sophomore infielder Ryan Wright has been selected to the 22-man 2010 Team USA Collegiate National Team.
- University of Kentucky and Lexington Hustlers right-handed pitcher Joe Devine was named an all-star in the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League.
- Lexington native Wes Wilson (Indiana), Morehead State University outfielder Cameron Flynn, Morehead St. and Hustlers infielder Travis Redmon, and Lexington native and Hustlers outfielder Justin Riddle were also named GLSC all-stars.
- Georgetown College outfielder Tyler Fisher was named a New York Collegiate Baseball League all-star.
- UK catcher Michael Williams was named a all-star in the New England Collegiate baseball League.