Earlier today we linked Perfect Game USA‘s underclassmen high school All-American teams. Perfect Game partnered with Rawlings Sporting Goods to release the senior All-American team a few weeks ago, but several Kentucky high schoolers and in-state college signees were honored, so the list is still worth passing along. I’ve included those players with school and college commitment below, but you can see the full team here.
3rd Team All-American
- LHP Corey Littrell — Trinity — University of Kentucky
- C Jake DePew — Granite City (Ill.) — University of Louisville
- RHP Kim Dace — Defiance (Ohio) — UofL
High Honorable Mention
- RHP Patrick Maronde — Lexington Catholic — Coastal Carolina
- LHP Joel Bender — Oak Hills (Ohio) — UofL
- INF Alex Chittenden — Lawrence Central (Ind.) — UofL
- RHP Chad Green — Effingham (Ill.) — UofL
- P Jeffrey Thompson — Floyd Centrall (Ind.) — UofL
- RHP Trevor Gott — Tates Creek — UK
- OF Gavin Patton — IMG Academies (Fla.) — UK
- RHP Blake Perry — Danville, IMG Academies (Fla.) — UK
- SS Matt Reida — Russiaville (Ind.) — UK
- OF G. J. Strauss — Chesterfield (Mo.) — Western Kentucky University
Hit the jump for players honored on regional teams
In the second of our early signing class breakdowns we’ll look at Western Kentucky University. WKU coach Chris Finwood and the Hilltoppers signed five players in the early period for 2011. Four came from high schools and one from a junior college. I’ve included each player’s 2009 highlights and Finwood’s quote about him below. You can read the full WKU release here.
RHP/INF Brian Doering — Dupont Manual High School
- All-District, All-Region 2009
- Finwood: “Brian is a bit of a late bloomer, and we really like his athleticism both on the mound and at the plate. He has an outstanding breaking pitch, and we think he has a bright future in our program. I think he was a bit overlooked on the mound this summer as he played on the same summer team as (fellow incoming Hilltopper Justin) Hageman and probably didn’t get seen as much.”
RHP/OF Justin Hageman — Hopkinsville High School
- All District, All Region, 2010 Mr. Baseball Nominee
- Finwood: “Justin is a true two-way player who will have an impact on the mound and at the plate for us. He is an ultra-aggressive and competitive young man who is a fearless competitor. We expect Justin to contribute right away as a pitcher and hitter.”
INF Mike Mosby — Hawesville, Ky. — Wabash Valley Community College
- .373 BA, 15 home runs, 73 RBI and 11 stolen bases
- Finwood: “Mike is a big, strong power-hitting third baseman from former Hilltopper All-American Wade Gaynor’s high school (Hancock County High School). Mike is listed as one of the top junior college hitters in this region, and we expect him to compete for a middle-of-the-order spot in the lineup right away.”
RHP/OF G. J. Strauss — St. Louis, Mo.
- First-team All District, First-team All Conference
- Finwood: “G.J. is a big, strong pitching and hitting prospect that we think has a great future both on the mound and at the plate. He has a great arm and can really pitch. We expect him to develop into a premium pitching prospect during his career at WKU. He was a teammate of current Hilltoppers Matt Borgschulte and Ryan Huck on the prestigious St. Louis Pirates travel team.”
RHP/INF Bret Sutton — Independence, Mo.
- First-team All- Conference, First-team All-Area, All-State
- Finwood: “Bret is another two-way player who we expect to help us on the mound and at the plate. Bret was very highly recruited mostly as a pitcher and he has a chance to be special on the mound, but we really think he will be a good hitter at this level as well. He is a fierce competitor and brings that edge to everything he does.”