- MLB.com reports Cliff Lee, Pedro Martinez and Cole Hamels will likely start the first three games for the Phillies in the World Series while UK alum Joe Blanton and J. A. Happ begin the series in the pen.
- Jason Stark of ESPN.com reports that the youth of the Phillies’ rotation, including Blanton (28), has some Philadelphia fans and executives thinking they may build a dynasty.
- The Sporting News also reports Blanton is a candidate for the game four start.
- Evan Bittner of FanHuddle.com looks at Rockies’ top prospect and EKU alum Christian Friedrich.
- 2009 Bat Yonder Alonso was 2-4 with two RBI and teammate Chris Hesiey was 0-5 in the AFL Saturday. Louisville closer Logan Ondrusek pitched a scoreless inning and struck out two.
A few of you may have been interested in some other Kentucky sporting event happening in Lexington Friday, but there are several baseball storylines to update you on:
- Brandon Webb reiterated to D’Backs management that he is not interested in discussing any deal other than his current 2010 option. Nick Pierco of the Arizona Republic reports that Webb hopes a healthy 2010 season will improve his stock for 2011.
- The Phillies blew a late lead to the Dodgers in their game two loss. UK alum Joe Blanton didn’t appear in the game.
- J.A. Happ walked in the winning run for the Dodgers, so Blanton’s chances of a game four start are looking up.
- Chris Heisey was 2-4 for Peoria in the AFL.
- Zachary Levine of Baseball America reports about the Astros’ struggling affiliates. (subscription required)
- UofL will close out fall practice with a best-of-three series this week.
The playoffs are back in full swing. Check out those storylines and more in today’s hot links:
- The Phillies held on for an 8-6 marathon win Thursday in game one of the NLCS. UK alum Joe Blanton didn’t appear in the game,
- Pedro Martinez will start game two for the Phillies and Cliff Lee will start game three. Phillies manager Charlie Manuel says he doesn’t know who will start game four because J. A. Happ and Joe Blanton are still in the pen for now. Happ appeared in game one, so that might give Blanton the edge for game four.
- Sean McAdam of the Boston Herald reports the Red Sox would be interested in Brandon Webb if the D’Backs don’t pick up his option.
- Chris Heisey was 2-4 with two runs scored and a double for Peoria in the Arizona Fall League Thursday. Yonder Alonso was 1-4 with a run scored.
- Louisville Bats closer Logan Ondrusek had a miserable outing, allowing five runs in two-thirds of an inning. 2009 Legend Daniel Meszaros allowed four runs in one and one-third innings.