With the last full month of the minor league season in the books I thought we’d look at the best performances from August on each of the Bluegrass minor league teams.
- 1B Brian Pellegrini — Pellegrini batted .262 with six home runs and 17 RBI. Brian walked 19 times for a .394 on-base percentage; he also slugged .495 for the month with an .889 OPS. Pellegrini led the Legends in home runs and RBI for the month.
- LHP David Duncan — Duncan was tied for the Legends’ August lead with three wins. David also lost one decision in five starts. Duncan had a 4.85 ERA with 22 strikeouts and four walks in 26 innings.
- LHP Brad Dydalewicz — Dydalewicz also had a 3-1 record in August but had a 4.94 ERA. He struck out 23 and walked 15 in 31 innings.
- RHP Brian Wabick — Wabick was the best Lexington reliever in August with a 2-1 record and 1.50 ERA in 10 games. Brian struck out 19 and walked four in 24 innings.
Louisville Bats @ Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- The Bats will send minor-league ERA leader Travis Wood to the mound tonight against the IronPigs. Wood has a 1.14 ERA between Carolina and Louisville. Travis is 1-1 with a 2.89 ERA in three starts for Louisville with 13 strikeouts in 18.2 innings pitched. Wood is finally cashing in on the talent that caused Baseball America to rank him as the third best prospect in the Reds organization in 2006 behind Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce. Wood has struck out 116 in 137 innings on the season, and opponents are only batting .191 against the lefty.
- The Bats picked up their 2,000th win since returning to Louisville in 1982 on Sunday. Louisville was a charter member of the National League in 1876, and the city has had a professional team in all but 20 years since.
- Bats’ slugger Kevin Barker launched his 22nd home run of the season Monday. Barker’s 22 home runs are second most in the International League, and his 65 RBI rank fifth in the league. Barker is batting .321 with three home runs and 10 RBI in eight games in August.
- The IronPigs will try and earn their first win of the season against Louisville with LHP Brian Mazone on the mound tonight. Mazone is 1-4 with a 5.16 ERA for Lehigh Valley on the season and is 1-5 with a 6.31 ERA in 20 games this season between the IronPigs and Albany of the AAA Pacific Coast League. Mazone took the loss in his last start after allowing five runs in four innings against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.