Louisville Bats @ Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- The Bats will send minor-league ERA leader Travis Wood to the mound tonight against the IronPigs. Wood has a 1.14 ERA between Carolina and Louisville. Travis is 1-1 with a 2.89 ERA in three starts for Louisville with 13 strikeouts in 18.2 innings pitched. Wood is finally cashing in on the talent that caused Baseball America to rank him as the third best prospect in the Reds organization in 2006 behind Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce. Wood has struck out 116 in 137 innings on the season, and opponents are only batting .191 against the lefty.
- The Bats picked up their 2,000th win since returning to Louisville in 1982 on Sunday. Louisville was a charter member of the National League in 1876, and the city has had a professional team in all but 20 years since.
- Bats’ slugger Kevin Barker launched his 22nd home run of the season Monday. Barker’s 22 home runs are second most in the International League, and his 65 RBI rank fifth in the league. Barker is batting .321 with three home runs and 10 RBI in eight games in August.
- The IronPigs will try and earn their first win of the season against Louisville with LHP Brian Mazone on the mound tonight. Mazone is 1-4 with a 5.16 ERA for Lehigh Valley on the season and is 1-5 with a 6.31 ERA in 20 games this season between the IronPigs and Albany of the AAA Pacific Coast League. Mazone took the loss in his last start after allowing five runs in four innings against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
Legends outfielder Steve Brown was named South Atlantic League player of the week after a week that saw him go 12-28 (.429) with three home runs and 11 RBI. Check out more on Brown’s honor and other BluGrass Baseball storylines in this mornings hot links:
- Minorleaguebaseball.com has a breakdown of each league’s player of the week including Brown.
- The Legends’ game was suspended due to rain with one out in the fifth inning. Lexington and Asheville will resume that game where it left off at 6:05 p.m. today before playing tonight’s scheduled game which has been shortened to seven innings.
- Kevin Barker’s home run gave Louisville a 4-3 victory over Lehigh Valley.
- The “Other Beckham” (Jeremy, Tim’s brother) hit his first professional home run in an 8-4 Bowling Green victory over Greenville.
- UK second baseman Chris Bisson was 1-6 with two runs scored in the Cotuit Kettleers’ series clinching victory against Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox in the Cape Cod League semi-finals. UK pitcher Matt Little surrendered two runs in the game in 2.2 innings of relief for Yarmouth-Dennis.
- UK baseball has announced a “5-Tool Camp” scheduled for Labor Day weekend.
- The Associated Press reports that Toronto Blue Jays GM J. P. Riccardi wants MLB to move up the signing deadline for draft picks after the team has failed to sign eight of its first 10 picks, including UK pitcher James Paxton, so far.
- Here is a piece I wrote for Examiner.com about the top prospects on the Lexington Legends’ roster.
- EKU alum Christian Friedrich continued his domination of California League opponents by striking out eight in 6.2 innings to lower his ERA to 1.32 and earn his third win in the league.
- According to Baseball America, the Tigers placed former UK pitcher Scott Green on the 7-day disabled list and the Padres placed former UK pitcher Andrew Albers on the 60-day DL.