In the second April Awards post check out the month’s best performances from the Louisville Bats below:
Hitter of the month: OF Dave Sappelt
- Stats: 29-85 (.341), 4 HR, 11 RBI, 12 R, 2 SBs
- Honorable Mention: Jeremy Hermida, Devin Mesoraco, Yonder Alonso
Pitcher of the month: LHP Dontrelle Willis
- Stats: 2-0, 1.13 ERA, 4 GS, 19 SO/7 BB, 24 IP
- Honorable Mention: Scott Carroll, Chad Reineke, Tom Cochran
Ben Revere; Photo from Wikimedia Commons
Highlights from Tuesday Kentucky MiLB action:
- The Louisville Bats swept a double-header versus Columbus with a 4-2 win in game one and a 5-4 win in game two. Right fielder Jeremy Hermida was 3-3 with one home run, one RBI and two runs scored in game one, and second baseman Chris Valaikia was 3-4 with two RBI in game two.
- The Bowling Green Hot Rods split a double-header versus Fort Wayne with a 4-0 loss in game one and a 1-0 win in game two. Left-handed pitcher C. J. Riefenhauser surrendered one run on three hits in five innings while striking out seven batters and walking two in his start in game one but took a loss. Three Hot Rods pitcher surrendered just four hits in game two, and shortstop Derek Dietrich plated the only run with a solo home run.
- The Lexington Legends held 2010 No. 1 pick Bryce Harper hitless but still dropped a 5-1 loss to Hagerstown. Center fielder Daniel Adamson was 3-4 with one double, one triple and one run scored, and Eastern High School alum Jason Chowning pitched two scoreless innings of relief for the Legends.
- Louisville native and former UofL infielder Adam Duvall was 2-5 with one home run, two RBI and one run scored for low A Augusta.
- Lexington Catholic alum Ben Revere was 3-4 with one run scored and one stolen base for AAA Rochester.
- Louisville native Zack Cox was 3-5 with one RBI for high A Palm Beach.
- LCA alum Robbie Ross surrendered two hits in four scoreless innings while striking out five batters and walking two in a start for high A Myrtle Beach.
- Former Ky. Wesleyan right-handed pitcher Cory Wade posted his third scoreless two-inning appearance of the season and struck out three batters for AAA Durham.
- Louisville native and former Union College right-handed pitcher Marty Popham struck out six batters in three and one-third scoreless innings for AA Kinston.
The Louisville Bats have unveiled the team’s Opening Day roster, which is highlighted by five of the Cincinnati Reds’ top 10 prospects according to Baseball America. The Bats will also feature right-handed pitcher Matt Klinker, who spent some time at Madisonville North Hopkins High School before moving to Ohio. Check out the full roster below:
- RHP — Scott Carroll — Kansas City, Mo. — 3rd Round (2007)
- LHP — Tom Cochran — Wilmington, Del. — 20th round, Red Sox (2003)
- RHP — Carlos Fisher — West Covina, Cal. — 11th round (2005)
- RHP — Jerry Gil — San Pedro de Macoris, DR — FA, D’Backs (1999)
- LHP — Daniel Ray Herrera — Odessa, Tex. — 45th round (2006)
- LHP — Jeremy Horst — Cheyenne, Wyo. — 21st round (2007)
- RHP — David Johnson — Los Angeles, Cal. — 15th round, Brewers (2004)
- RHP — Matt Klinker — Peru, Ind. (Madisonville, Ky.) — 15th round (2007)
- LHP — Joseph Krebs — Denton, Tex. — 14th round (2007)
- RHP — Kyle McCulloch — Houston, Tex. — 1st round, White Sox (2006)
- RHP — Chad Reineke — Defiance, Ohio — 13th round, Astros (2004)
- LHP — Dontrelle Willis — Oakland, Cal. — 8th round, Cubs (2000)
- Devin Mesoraco — Dubois, Penn. — 1st round (2007)
- Corky Miller — Yucaipa, Cal. — NDFA (1998)
- 1B — Yonder Alonso –Havana, Cuba — 1st round (2008)
- SS — Zack Cozart — Memphis, Tenn. — 2nd round (2007)
- 1B — Daniel Dorn — San Dimas, Cal. — 32nd round (2006)
- 1B — Michael Griffin — Corpus Christi, Tex. — 14th round (2005)
- SS — Kris Negron — Willingboro, N. J. — 7th round, Red Sox (2006)
- 2B — Chris Valaika — Santa Monica, Cal. — 3rd Round (2006)
- Brian Barton — Los Angeles, Cal. — NDFA (2004)
- Todd Frazier — Point Pleasant, N. J. — 1st supp. round (2007)
- Jeremy Hermida — Atlanta, Ga. — 1st round, Marlins (2002)
- Dave Sappelt — Graham, N. C. — 9th round (2008)
Brandon Webb; Photo by SD Dirk via Flickr
Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas reports Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb plans to be ready for Spring Training but isn’t making firm timetables like last season.
- Durrett also breaks down the process that led Webb to wear No. 33 in Texas to honor his late friend Jon Hooker, who was his roommate and teammate at UK and died in the flight 5195 crash.
- Big East baseball coaches have picked the University of Louisville to finish third in the league. Junior infielder Ryan Wright and redshirt junior outfielder Stewart Ijames were both named to the preseason All-Big East team.
- College Baseball Lineup (formerly Ping! Baseball) named Wright a preseason third team All-American.
- Jim Callis of Baseball America ranks former UK left-handed pitcher Chris Rusin‘s changeup and control as the best in the Chicago Cubs’ system.
- Jon Paul Morosi of FoxSports.com reports the Cincinnati Reds have signed former MLB outfielder Jeremy Hermida to a minor-league contract. If Hermida doesn’t make the MLB roster out of Spring Training he could end up with the Louisville Bats.