Wladimir Balentien; Photo from Wikimedia Commons
Matt Eddy of Baseball America recently posted the complete list of Minor League free agents and several Kentuckians are on the list. I’ve copied the Kentucky MiLB free agents below with organization and 2010 team:
- RHP Jesus Delgado — Cincinnati Reds — AAA Louisville Bats
- RHP Jason Isringhausen — Cincinnati Reds — AAA Louisville
- RHP Chad Reineke — Cincinnati Reds — AAA Louisville
- C Wilkin Castillo — Cincinnati Reds — AAA Louisville
- OF Wladimir Balentien — Cincinnati Reds — AAA Louisville
- OF Sean Henry — Cincinnati Reds — AAA Louisville
- OF Luis Terrero — Cincinnati Reds — AAA Louisville
- RHP Matt Wilhite (WKU) — Colorado Rockies — AAA Colorado Springs
- C Neil Wilson (Covington) — Florida Marlins — AAA New Orleans
- RHP Cory Wade (Ky Wesleyan) — Los Angeles Dodgers — AAA Albuquerque
- 3B Neil Sellers (EKU) — Philadelphia Phillies — AAA Lehigh Valley
- LHP Zach Jackson (UofL) — Toronto Blue Jays — AAA Las Vegas
- RHP Zach Dials (UK) — Washington Nationals — AA Harrisburg
You can see the full MiLB free agent list here.
Ryan Strieby; Photo via Flickr by mwlguide
Highlights from Saturday Kentucky MiLB action:
- The Louisville Bats scored a 2-0 shutout win over the Indianapolis Indians behind a strong pitching performance from right-handed pitcher Jesus Delgado, who surrendered just four hits in five innings. Right-handed reliever Carlos Fisher earned his first save of the season.
- The Lexington Legends secured a series win against the Hickory Crawdads with a 4-1 victory. First baseman Kody Hinze was 3-5 with a run scored.
- The Bowling Green Hot Rods salvaged one game of its three-game home series against the Fort Wayne TinCaps with a 6-4 victory. Right fielder Brett Nommensen was 2-5 with a home run.
- Former UK outfielder Collin Cowgill was 2-4 with a home run, two RBI and one run scored for AA Mobile.
- Former UK first baseman Ryan Streiby was 2-4 with a home run, one RBI and one run scored and has hits in his last four games for AAA Toledo.
- Former UofL infielder and 2010 draftee Adam Duvall had his best professional game to-date and was 3-5 with a home run, RBI and run scored for short-season Salem-Keizer.
- Former UofL third baseman Chris Dominguez was 3-6 with a double and run scored for low A Augusta.
- Former UofL right-handed pitcher Thomas Royse struggled for the second consecutive start after allowing five runs in two innings for rookie-level Great Falls.
- Former Morehead St. shortstop Drew Lee was 3-4 with a double and two runs scored for rookie-level Bristol.
- Former Campbellsville catcher Richie Rowland hit his first professional home run to extend his hitting streak to ten games for rookie-level Missoula.
- Boyd County native Tyler Gatrell picked up his third save for the rookie-level AZL Royals and hasn’t allowed a run in his first six professional innings.
Travis Wood; Photo by mwlguide via Flickr
Today marks the turn of the calendar to July so its time to look back at June awards for each of the three Kentucky Minor League teams, other Kentuckians in MiLB and Kentucky major leaguers. We’ll start by looking at the Louisville Bats:
Hitter of the month: SS Zach Cozart
- Stats: 32-116 (.276), 4 HR, 15 RBI, 12 R
- Honorable Mention: Todd Frazier, Wilkin Castillo, Juan Francisco
Pitcher of the month: LHP Travis Wood
- Stats: 2-2, 1.26 ERA, 5 GS, 35.2 IP, 37 SO, 6 BBs
- Honorable Mention: Chad Reineke, Jesus Delgado, Carlos Fisher, Lee Tabor, Pedro Viola