Earlier this week we posted the list of Kentucky college baseball players who would participate in the 2011 Cape Cod League, but now we have some summer college baseball news from a little closer to home. The Lexington Hustlers of the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League have unveiled its 2011 roster will a plethora of Kentucky natives making the cut. You can see the roster on the Hustler’s website here and check out the list with position, college and hometown below.
- RHP Conner Asay — Fr. — Vicennes — Lexington, Ky. (Lafayette HS)
- RHP Brandon Boling — S0. — Gardner-Webb — Lexington, Ky. (Bryan Station HS)
- RHP Wade Bush — So. — Indiana St. — Terre Haute, Ind.
- RHP Brent Cobb — Fr. — Eastern Kentucky University — Lexington, Ky. (Lafayette HS)
- RHP Chase Greene — So. — EKU — Nicholasville, Ky. (West Jessamine HS)
- RHP Matt Harris — Jr. — EKU — Lexington, Ky. (Henry Clay HS)
- RHP Chad Martin — Jr. — Indiana — Lexington, Ky. (Paul Laurence Dunbar HS)
- RHP Jason McGinnis — Jr. — Georgetown College — Barboursville, W. V.
- RHP/OF Sam Kidd — So. — University of Kentucky — Hartford, Ky. (Ohio Co. HS)
- LHP Nolan Fernandez — Fr. — Wabash Valley JC — Lexington, Ky.
- LHP Tanner Perkins — So. — Western Kentucky University — Brodhead, Ky. (Rockcastle Co. HS)
- LHP Noah Smallwood — Fr. — Morehead State University — Nicholasville, Ky. (West Jessamine HS)
- LHP Phil Trowbridge — St. Joe’s (Ind.) — Mokena, Il..
- LHP Josh Jillson — SO. — St. Catherine’s College — Wales Maine
- C Shane Crain — So. — Wabash Valley JC (UofL signee) — Lexington, Ky.
- C Kyle Gibson — Fr. — University of Louisville — Henderson, Ky. (Henderson Co. HS)
- C/OF Brandon Brian — So. — WKU — Louisville, Ky. (Trinity HS)
- SS Quintin Alexander — Fr. — St. Joe’s (Ind.) — Chicago, Ill.
- SS Bud Morton — Fr. — Morehead St. — Nicholasville, Ky. (West Jessamine HS)
- INF Colt Cattani — Jr. — Northern Kentucky University — West Chester, Ohio
- INF Jonathan Craycraft — Jr. — Lipscomb — Lexington, Ky. (Henry Clay HS)
- INF Luke Hawkins — So. — Campbellsville University — Lawrenceburg, Ky. (Anderson Co. HS)
- INF Robert Lawrence — So. — Middle Tenn. — Madison, Tenn.
- INF/RHP J. T. Riddle — Fr. — UK — Frankfort, Ky. (Western Hills HS)
- OF Ronald Cotton — Fr. — Cincinnati — Florence, Ky. (Boone Co. HS)
- OF Dalton Henzman — So. — Middle Tenn. — Lexington, Ky. (LCA)
- OF/INF Jordan Rorex — So. — Middle Tenn. — Clinton, Tenn.
- OF Taylor Russell — Jr. — NKU — Loveland, Ohio
- OF Tanner Smith — Fr. — WKU — London, Ky. (North Laurel HS)
Outfielder Ronald Cotton and infielder/right-handed pitcher J. T. Riddle were both 2010 draft picks.
In our third Murray State University post in the “offseason position battle” series we will look at the vacant second base position.
The departed — Murray St. split its 57 starts at second base between three players in 2010: seniors Kyle Tiernan and Cory Hodskins and sophomore Jonathan Craycraft. The Breds lost Tiernan, who started 32 games at second base, and Hodskins, who started one game at second, to graduation. Craycraft, who started 24 games at the position, is not listed on the 2011 roster. Tiernan batted .300 with three home runs, 37 RBI and 30 runs scored in 2010, while Craycraft batted .262 with two home runs, 13 RBI and 23 runs scored. Craycraft started 46 games at second base as a freshman, batting .337.
Returning candidates — Murray St. lists just two returning infielders on its 2011 roster: sophomores Brandon Elliott and Colton Moore. Elliott returns to the Breds as the primary shortstop after starting 43 games there in 2010. Moore started 19 games at third base and 24 games as a designated hitter in 2010 and will likely be the primary third baseman in 2011.
Newcomers to watch — Junior college transfer Travis Isaak joins the Breds after batting .420 with 19 doubles, eight home runs and 55 RBI as a sophomore at Lincoln Trail Community College. Isaak batted .365 with 25 doubles, five home runs and 38 RBI as a freshman at LTCC…Freshman infielder Wes Warren comes to Murray St. from Goodlettsville, Tenn., where he batted .419 with seven triples and 32 RBI as a senior at Hendersonville High School.
Wildcard — With just four infielders listed on the 2011 roster there appear to be few surprises in the second base competition. Head coach Rob McDonald could conceivably move incumbent infielders Elliott and Moore to the position, though that appears unlikely as neither logged any time at second base during 2011. If a position change from another player was in order, the Breds boast a surplus at catcher with five players and outfield with six players on the roster.
On a day where two different Bluegrass player launched three home runs the running for hitter of the day was heated. Check out that award and the Saturday pitching honor below:
Player of the Day — OF Cameron Flynn (Morehead St)
- Stats: 5-7, 3 HR, 4 R, 9 RBI
- Honorable Mention: Wes Cunningham (Murray St.), Jonathan Craycraft (Murray St.), J. D. Ashbrook (Morehead St.), Ryan Wright (UofL), Jared Andreoli (WKU), Kes Carter (WKU), Chris Bisson (UK)
Pitcher of the Day — RHP Shane Cameron (WKU)
- Stats: 1-0, 6.2 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 8 SO
- Honorable Mention: Stephen Hefler (EKU), Taylor Rogers (UK), Matt Harris (EKU), Dean Kiekhefer (UofL)
Player of the Day: SS Drew Lee (Morehead)
- Stats: 4-5, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 runs
- Honorable Mention: Jayson Langfels (EKU), Cory Farris (UK), Chad Wright (UK), Kyle Grieshaber (UofL), Kes Carter (WKU), Jonathan Craycraft (Murray St.)
Pitcher of the Day: LHP Taylor Rogers (UK)
- Stats: 7 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 SO
- Honorable Mention: Tyler Gilliland (WKU), Justin Amlung (UofL)
Athletic Department Recaps