The MLB trade season is officially in full gear with three major moves Wednesday. We told you about the Mariners/Pirates deal that sent Hardin County native Nathan Adcock to Pittsburgh, but the biggest trade of the day may also have Kentucky implications. The Phillies received reigning AL Cy Young winner Cliff Lee for four prospects. With Lee and Pedro Martinez joining the Philadelphia rotation, two pitchers must move to the pen and one candidate is UK alum Joe Blanton. Blanton leads the team in innings, has a 4.11 ERA and has a history of good second halves so hopefully his spot is safe.
Check out more trade breakdown and other, BluGrass Baseball news in today’s hot links:
- According to David Murphy at the Philadelphia Inquirer Blanton’s rotation spot looks safe.
- Baseball America breaks down the prospects, including Adcock, in the Pirates/Mariners deal.
- Dejan Kovacevic writes about Adcock and the other prospects the Pirates received in two trades Wednesday.
- Steve Kornacki quotes Tigers manager Jim Leyland in saying that the Yankees and one other team have interest in former EKU Colonel and Lexington Legend Josh Anderson.
- The Reds traded former Louisville Bat Robert Manuel for OF Wladimir Balentien.
- SI’s John Heyman tweets that the Mets are interested in former UK pitcher Scott Downs
Hit the jump for more BluGrass Baseball news