In the final week four highlights post we look at Morehead State University. The Eagles took two of three games in the University of Evansville Dunn Hospitality Diamond Challenge. Morehead dropped its first game against Evansville before wins against Purdue and Le Moyne.
- Lee continues to standout: Senior shortstop Drew Lee continued to rake with a 6-13 (.462) with a home run, four RBI and two runs scored weekend performance. Lee is batting .392 with seven home runs and 28 RBI on the season.
- Ashbrook stays above .400 on season: A 4-11 (.363) performance on the weekend was enough to keep senior center fielder J. D. Ashbrook‘s season average over .400. On the season Ashbrook is batting .409 with six home runs, 16 RBI and 27 runs scored.
- Eagles inching back to .500: Morehead State’s 2-3 weekend brought the Eagles within two games of .500 on the season. The Saturday victory ended a streak of five losses in six games for the Eagles. The winning weekend was Murray’s first since the season-opening series against Mercer.
Several state schools are either finishing or starting Spring Break so week four of the college season should have plenty of action starting with the weekend games below. Check out the composite schedule below with information about where you can listen or watch the game. Gametracker links will take you to the livestream of the radio broadcast. I’ve also included each teams probable starting pitcher and Baseball America ranking in parentheses when applicable. Clicking on each team’s name will take you to the university’s preview of the series.
University of Louisville (8)
- Friday — @ Ole Miss (18) — 7:30 p.m. — RHP Thomas Royse — Gametracker
- Saturday — @ Ole Miss (18) — 2:30 p.m. — LHP Dean Kiekhefer — Gametracker
- Sunday — @ Ole Miss (18) — 1:30 p.m. — RHP Tony Zych — Gametracker
University of Kentucky (22)
Western Kentucky University
- Friday — @ New Orleans — 6:30 p.m. (CT) — RHP Matt Ridings — Live Stats
- Saturday — @ New Orleans — 4:00 p.m. (CT) — LHP Tanner Perkins — Live Stats
- Sunday — @ New Orleans — 1:00 p.m. (CT) — RHP Shane Cameron — Live Stats
Eastern Kentucky University
Murray State University
- Friday — vs. St. Louis — 2 p.m. (CT) — RHP Chris Craycraft — Live Stats
- Saturday — vs. St. Louis — 1 p.m. (CT) — LHP Jake Donze
- Sunday — vs. St. Louis — 1 p.m. (CT) — RHP Dan Huff
Morhead State University (Dunn Hospital Diamond Classic)
- Friday — @ Evansville — 4:00 p.m. — RHP Tyler Heineman — Live Stats
- Saturday — @ Purdue — 1:00 p.m. — RHP Michael Bottoms
- Sunday — @ Le Moyne — 1:00 p.m. — RHP Quentin Morgan
The news that the University of Louisville would be without two of its starters for at least three weeks didn’t slow down the Cards or ace Thomas Royse Friday in an 8-1 victory. Right-handed starter Royse allowed just one run on seven hits in seven innings and struck out five Le Moyne batters while walking just one. Senior catcher Jeff Arnold was 3-3 with a home run, three RBI and two runs scored in the game.
Senior second baseman Adam Duvall posted a 3-5, two RBI and one run scored performance, and redshirt sophomore right fielder Stewart Ijames added two hits in the game. Junior right-handed reliever Neil Holland and redshirt sophomore left-handed reliever Joe Stilphen held Le Moyne hitless over the final two innings. UofL improved to 9-0 on the season. (Box Score)
BluGrass Baseball POG: Thomas Royse — While Arnold and Duvall posted strong performances at the plate, the Cards didn’t really need them due to Royse’s continued 2010 dominance. On the season Royse is now 3-0 with a 0.50 ERA and 19 strikeouts compared to just three walks in 18 innings. Royse has only allowed one earned run in three starts.