Murray State University completed an opening series sweep of Lipscomb with an 8-3 victory Sunday. The Racers were led at the plate by senior designated hitter Bryan Propst who was 3-5 with a home run, three RBI and a run scored. Senior first baseman Wes Cunningham also added two runs scored and two RBI.
On the mound senior right-handed pitcher Marc Harmon earned the win with seven innings of three-run ball. Harmon surrendered seven hits, walked two and struck out two. Senior right-handed reliever Alex Love closed the game by allowing just two hits in two innings. (Box Sc0re)
BluGrass Baseball POG: Bryan Propst — Propst launched seven home runs as a junior for Murray State, but already has two long balls in the 2010 season with his second coming Sunday. His home run was a solo shot leading off the ninth inning, but he already had two RBI while the score was closer earlier in the game.
The Murray State Racers held off a ninth inning rally from Lipscomb University to win its season opener 8-7. The Racers were paced by senior leadoff man Kyle Tiernan who had three hits in five at-bats and five RBI. BluGrass Baseball All-State first baseman Wes Cunningham also added three hits. The game was tied 3-3 after five innings, but Murray used a four-run sixth to put some distance between itself and Lipscomb.
Senior right-handed ace Chris Craycraft earned the win in his season debut for the Racers with six innings of six-hit ball. Craycraft surrendered five runs, three of which were earned, and stuck out seven while walking two. Senior right-handed reliever Dan Huff earned the save with three innings of two-run ball. (Box Score)
BluGrass Baseball POG: Kyle Tiernan — Tiernan has started every game for Murray State in the last two seasons with mediocre results. The senior second baseman started off 2010 on the right foot with a 3-5, 1 2B and 5 RBI performance. Kyle is already a fourth of the way to his 2009 RBI total.
The college season officially kicks off this afternoon with four of the Division 1 Kentucky programs in action. Check out the composite weekend schedule below with information about where you can listen or watch the game. Gametracker links will take you to the livestream of the radio broadcast. I’ve also included each teams probable starting pitcher and Baseball America ranking in parentheses when applicable. Clicking on each team’s name will take you to the university’s preview of the series.
University of Louisville (13)
- Friday — 2:00 p.m. — vs. Bowling Green — RHP Thomas Royse — Gametracker — Cards TV — Watch
- Saturday — 1:00 p.m. — vs. Bowling Green — LHP Dean Kiekhefer — Gametracker — Cards TV — Watch
- Sunday — 1:00 p.m. — vs. Bowling Green — RHP Tony Zych — Gametracker — Cards TV — Watch
University of Kentucky
- Friday — 12:00 p.m. — vs. Virginia Tech (in Myrtle Beach) — RHP Alex Meyer — Gametracker — UK AA LiveBlog
- Saturday — 12:00 p.m. — vs. West Virginia (in Myrtle Beach) — LHP Taylor Rogers — Gametracker
- Sunday — 3:00 p.m. — vs. Coastal Carolina (12) (in Myrtle Beach) — LHP Logan Darnell — Gametracker
Western Kentucky University
- Friday — 4:00 p.m. — vs. Kent State — RHP Matt Ridings — Live stats (available at start time)
- Saturday — 3:00 p.m. — vs. Kent State — LHP Tanner Perkins
- Sunday — 1:00 p.m. — vs. Kent State — RHP Shane Cameron
Murray State University
- Friday — 5:00 p.m. — @ Lipscomb — RHP Chris Craycraft — Live Stats (available at first pitch)
- Saturday — 3:00 p.m. — @ Lipscomb — LHP Jake Donze —
- Sunday — 2:00 p.m. — @ Lipscomb — RHP Marc Harmon —
Morehead State University
- Friday — 4:00 p.m. — @ Mercer — RHP Michael Bottoms — Live Stats (Available at first pitch)
- Saturday (1) — 1:00 p.m. – @ Mercer — RHP Jeff Arnold
- Saturday (2) — After GM 1 — @ Mercer — RHP Trey Smith
- Sunday — 1:00 p.m. — @ Mercer — RHP Quentin Morgan