The Little Leaguers from Russellville, Ky., finished their improbable road to the Little League World Series with a 10-3 victory over Indiana in the finals of the Great Lakes Regional Tournament. The Logan County All-Stars lost their first two games of the tournament, but won four in a row to take the title. Check out recaps of that game and more in Saturday morning’s hot links:
- The box score from the Little League game shows the Logan County stars didn’t look back after Joe Holiday’s three-run home run in the first inning.
- The Bowling Green Daily News recaps the Logan County victory.
- Legends’ slugger Brian Pellegrini hit two home runs in Lexington’s 5-4 loss to West Virginia. The two long balls moved Pellegrini within two home runs of the Legends’ single-season record.
- Bowling Green couldn’t take advantage of two doubles from Jason Corder in a 6-2 loss to Hickory.
- Both benches cleared in Louisville’s 4-1 victory over Toledo, but no punches were thrown in the game.
Kentucky and Indiana match up again Saturday evening on a different field than your used to seeing. The Kentucky state little league champions from Logan County will meet the Indiania state champions for the Great Lakes regional title. The winner advances to the Little League World Series. Here are some links and storylines to get you prepared for today’s action:
The Little League team from Russelville, Ky., will play on ESPN Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. for the Great Lakes regional championship and the chance to play in the Little League World Series.
The Kentucky state champions upset No. 1 Illinois in the semifinals 10-4 to earn a spot in the final game against Indiana. The northern border rivals from the Hooiser State defeated Kentucky 9-7 in round robin play.
The little league team from Russellville, Ky., won its game against the Michigan team 12-10 today in the round robin portion of the Great Lakes regional championship. The team’s record is 2-2 in the round, and the Logan Countians are currently tied for third place. Only one game remains in the round robin portion of the tournament (Indiana vs. Ohio). The Russellville team lost its first two games to Ohio and Indiana before defeating Wisconsin and Michigan.
The Kentucky team owns the tie breaker against Michigan, so it is guaranteed a place in the semifinals. Since Indiana and Ohio both defeated the Bluegrass team, Kentucky will be seeded third or fourth. The semifinals start tomorrow afternoon, before the regional finals air on ESPN Saturday. The winner advances to the Little League World Series.
In Cal Ripken World Series Action, the team from Lexington, Ky., has clinched a spot in the playoffs with a 4-2 record in the National division. The playoffs begin Friday and will play until the 22nd. The semifinals and finals will air on the MLB Network.
Friday was a busy day for baseball in the Bluegrass. Here are some morning links to start your weekend: