News continues to trickle in about signees for the state colleges, but they were overshadowed by one of the most high-profile Kentucky major leaguers working back from injury. Check out those stories and more in some Friday links, and keep checking back for more signing news later:
- Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports Ashland-native Brandon Webb has a pain-free first throwing session since having shoulder surgery in August.
- Jody Demling of the Louisville Courier-Journal reports that UofL signed Bullitt East pitcher/infielder Brandon Alphin. He also writes that Trinity pitcher Corey Littrell signed with UK.
- Granite City (Ill.) standout Jake DePew also signed with the Cards.
- Dick Kaegel of MLB.com reports rumors of a Albert Callaspo trade from the Royals to the Dodgers for PLD-alum A. J. Ellis appear unfounded.
- Michael Johnson of Examiner.com reports Ballard catcher John Fidanza signed with Coastal Carolina.
- Jason Stella of Examiner.com writes about 2009 Bats Wes Bankston‘s and Adam Rosales‘ Winter League performances.
- The Courier-Journal has further breakdown of the Curt Flood memorabilia auction at the Louisville Slugger Museum this weekend.
- Stan McNeal and Ryan Fagan of The Sporting News look at what were learned from the 2009 baseball season and conclude that Louisville-native Aaron Cook‘s success at home means pitchers really can pitch well at Coors Field.