Wladimir Balentien; Photo from Wikimedia Commons
Matt Eddy of Baseball America recently posted the complete list of Minor League free agents and several Kentuckians are on the list. I’ve copied the Kentucky MiLB free agents below with organization and 2010 team:
- RHP Jesus Delgado — Cincinnati Reds — AAA Louisville Bats
- RHP Jason Isringhausen — Cincinnati Reds — AAA Louisville
- RHP Chad Reineke — Cincinnati Reds — AAA Louisville
- C Wilkin Castillo — Cincinnati Reds — AAA Louisville
- OF Wladimir Balentien — Cincinnati Reds — AAA Louisville
- OF Sean Henry — Cincinnati Reds — AAA Louisville
- OF Luis Terrero — Cincinnati Reds — AAA Louisville
- RHP Matt Wilhite (WKU) — Colorado Rockies — AAA Colorado Springs
- C Neil Wilson (Covington) — Florida Marlins — AAA New Orleans
- RHP Cory Wade (Ky Wesleyan) — Los Angeles Dodgers — AAA Albuquerque
- 3B Neil Sellers (EKU) — Philadelphia Phillies — AAA Lehigh Valley
- LHP Zach Jackson (UofL) — Toronto Blue Jays — AAA Las Vegas
- RHP Zach Dials (UK) — Washington Nationals — AA Harrisburg
You can see the full MiLB free agent list here.
Jason Kipnis; Photo from Wikimedia Commons
Latest links and notes from around Kentucky baseball:
- Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports the Cleveland Indians named one-time UK outfielder Jason Kipnis, who transferred to Arizona State, the organization’s minor league player of the year.
- Kipnis’ cycle in the AAA playoffs for the Columbus Clippers is nominated for the MiLB AAA game of the year award. You can vote here.
- PRP alum and St. Louis Cardinals’ 2010 first-round pick Zack Cox was 2-5 with a double and two RBI for the Surprise Rafters of the Arizona Fall League.
- Former UofL right-handed pitcher B. J. Rosenberg pitched a scoreless inning and struck out two for the Mesa Solar Sox of the AFL.
- Louisville Bats catcher Devin Mesoraco was 2-4 with a run scored for the Peoria Saguaros of the AFL.
- While no Kentucky player will suit up for the World Series beginning tomorrow the San Francisco Giants wouldn’t have made it there without contributions from a variety of players, including Louisville native Todd Wellemeyer, Chris Haft of MLB.com writes.
- Josh Jackson, writing for MiLB.com, selected Bats catcher Devin Mesoraco, third baseman Juan Francisco, outfielder Dave Sappelt, outfielder Wladimir Balentien and designated hitter Luis Terrero to the Cincinnati Reds’ organizational all-star team.
We’ll run down the standouts from May for each of the Kentucky Minor League teams, starting with the Louisville Bats:
Hitter of the month: INF Drew Sutton
- Stats: 25-66 (.379), 2 HR, 15 RBI, 12 R
- Honorable Mention: Wladimir Balentein, Chris Valaika, Daniel Dorn, Luis Terrero, Corky Miller
Pitcher of the month: RHP Sam LeCure
- Stats: 3-1, 2.21 ERA, 5 GS, 29 SO/6 BB, 36.2 IP
- Honorable Mention: Travis Wood, Matt Maloney, Chad Reineke, Enerio Del Rosario
The Louisville Bats are set to start play today and will feature two Kentucky natives in the lineup as well as several of the best prospects in the Cincinnati Reds organization. Check out the roster below via the Courier-Journal. I’ve included Baseball America prospect rankings for the Reds organization. Remember top prospects Juan Francisco and Mike Leake are starting the season with the Reds but might appear in Louisville at some point if they struggle, and Yonder Alonso is starting the season in AA but should earn a callup to Louisville early this season.
- LHP Travis Wood (BA #7) (SP) — 2nd Round (2005)
- RHP Sam LeCure (SP) — 4th Round (2005)
- LHP Matt Maloney (BA #8) (SP) — Phillies 3rd Round (2005)
- RHP Federico Baez — Cubs NDFA (2002)
- RHP Jon Adkins — Athletics 9th Round (1998)
- RHP Chad Reineke — 2005 Lexington Legend — Astros 13th Round (2004)
- RHP Enerio Del Rosario (BA # 19) — NDFA 2005
- LHP Lee Tabor — 30th Round (2006)
- RHP Justin Lehr (SP) — Athletics 8th Round (1999)
- LHP Pedro Viola (BA # 22) — NDFA (2005)
- RHP Carlos Fisher — 11th Round (2005)
- RHP Jared Burton — Athletics 8th Round (2002)
- LHP Aroldis Chapman (BA #1A*) (SP) — Cuban FA (2009)
- Corky Miller — Amateur FA (1998)
- Wilkin Castillo — NDFA 2002
- Jake Long — 37th Round (2005)
- 2B — Chris Burke — St. X High School — Astros 1st Round (2004)
- 3B — Michael Griffin — 14th Round (2005)
- 3B — Drew Sutton — 2005 Lexington Legend — S/R — Astros 15th Round (2005)
- 2B — Chris Valaika (BA #12) — 3rd Round (2006)
- SS — Zach Cozart (BA #10) — 2nd Round (2007)
- 3B/LF — Todd Frazier (BA #1B) — 1st Supp. Round (2007)
- RF — Josh Anderson — Pulaski Co., EKU, 2004 Lexington Legend — 4th Round (2003)
- LF/1B — Daniel Dorn — 32nd Round (2006)
- LF — Chris Heisey (BA #4) — 17th Round (2006)
- OF — Luis Terrero — D’Backs NDFA (1997)
* — Chapman signed after Baseball America released its Reds top 10 prospects list, but is ranked higher than No. 1 Frazier on the overall top 100 prospects list published by the magazine.