Photo by Chris Breeze via Flickr
Latest links and notes from around Kentucky baseball:
- Laura Butler of the Lexington Herald-Leader reports the home of the Lexington Legends will no longer be called Applebee’s Park as Thomas & King, which owns the local Applebee’s franchises, has “decided to step down as the official naming rights sponsor of the Legends.”
- Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse tweets that other teams expect the Boston Red Sox to sign former UK left-handed pitcher Scott Downs.
- Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb remains the No. 1 target of the Chicago Cubs.
- Patrick Dorsey of The Indianapolis Star profiles University of Kentucky signee Max Kuhn, an Indiana prep infielder.
We’ve noted each of the college baseball early signing classes released by Kentucky schools, but the University of Louisville and University of Kentucky have not officially announced their early classes. Despite the lack of a university news release Yahoo! Sports posted a signing list for UK on the Rivals.com message board thread where Kendall Rogers was tracking signing classes from across the country. The list matches previous media reports about commitments but has not been confirmed by UK:
- RHP Chandler Shepherd — Lawrence County High School
- RHP Spencer Drake — Eastern High School
- INF Ryan Loehnert — St Xavier High School
- RHP Taylor Martin — Lexington Catholic High School
- OF Jeff Boehm — Lansing, Ill.
- LHP Jerad Grundy — Heartland CC
- OF Austin Cousino — Dublin, Ohio
- C Greg Fettes — Madison Heights, Mich.
- INF Max Kuhn — Zionsville, Ind.
- LHP Sam Mahar — Pleasant Prairie, Wisc.
- LHP AJ Reed — Terre Haute, Ind.
- RHP Shane Grimm — Walters State CC
Yahoo! Sports didn’t list Grimm on their Kentucky early signing period class, but the Herald-Leader reported in August the former Paintsville High School star had committed to UK. The headliner of the class is probably Cousino, who was named the tournament MVP at the 2009 IBAF ‘AA’ World Youth Championships for Team USA (16U). Shepherd, Drake and Martin were each named KHSBCA 2nd Team All-State in 2010.
UK Athletics Wallpaper
Latest highlights and links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Patrick Dorsey of The Indianapolis Star reports Zionsville infielder Max Kuhn has committed to the University of Kentucky.
- Ryan Korby of The Washington Post breaks down the Nationals’ pursuit of Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb.
- Kendall Rogers of Yahoo! Sports and Rivals.com lists UK among his declining NCAA programs, writing “After failing to reach a postseason again last season, the Wildcats are declining and on the verge of turning back into an SEC afterthought.”
- Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com profiles former UofL left-handed pitcher Justin Marks, who was traded by the A’s to the Royals in the David DeJesus deal.
- One-time UK outfielder turned second baseman Jason Kipnis was 2-4 with a double and two RBI for the Peoria Javelinas of the Arizona Fall League.