Our next week four highlights package brings us to Bowling Green for the emerging Western Kentucky University Hilltoppers. WKU is probable another series win or two away from widespread national rankings, but the Hilltoppers are starting to garner their share of national attention. A three-game sweep of New Orleans this weekend should only help.
- Carter continues to impress: Sophomore center fielder Kes Carter didn’t garner many headlines entering the season, but all he has done in 2010 is hit. Carter leads the WKU regulars with a .426 average and .481 on-base percentage. He also has three home runs and 17 RBI. On the weekend, Carter was 6-15 (.400) with two home runs, five RBI and two runs scored.
- Rice has no trouble with New Orleans: Junior catcher Matt Rice continued to lead the Hilltoppers with two more home runs this weekend. Rice was 6-12 (.500), with two home runs, six RBI and five runs scored. On the season, Rice is batting .359 with four home runs and 20 RBI.
- Ridings ties WKU career wins record: Senior right-handed pitcher Matt Ridings tied the Hilltoppers’ career wins record with his Friday victory. Ridings allowed one run on two hits in six and two-third innings and struck out eight while walking two. In his career, Ridings had 28 wins.
Several state schools are either finishing or starting Spring Break so week four of the college season should have plenty of action starting with the weekend games below. Check out the composite schedule below with information about where you can listen or watch the game. Gametracker links will take you to the livestream of the radio broadcast. I’ve also included each teams probable starting pitcher and Baseball America ranking in parentheses when applicable. Clicking on each team’s name will take you to the university’s preview of the series.
University of Louisville (8)
- Friday — @ Ole Miss (18) — 7:30 p.m. — RHP Thomas Royse — Gametracker
- Saturday — @ Ole Miss (18) — 2:30 p.m. — LHP Dean Kiekhefer — Gametracker
- Sunday — @ Ole Miss (18) — 1:30 p.m. — RHP Tony Zych — Gametracker
University of Kentucky (22)
Western Kentucky University
- Friday — @ New Orleans — 6:30 p.m. (CT) — RHP Matt Ridings — Live Stats
- Saturday — @ New Orleans — 4:00 p.m. (CT) — LHP Tanner Perkins — Live Stats
- Sunday — @ New Orleans — 1:00 p.m. (CT) — RHP Shane Cameron — Live Stats
Eastern Kentucky University
Murray State University
- Friday — vs. St. Louis — 2 p.m. (CT) — RHP Chris Craycraft — Live Stats
- Saturday — vs. St. Louis — 1 p.m. (CT) — LHP Jake Donze
- Sunday — vs. St. Louis — 1 p.m. (CT) — RHP Dan Huff
Morhead State University (Dunn Hospital Diamond Classic)
- Friday — @ Evansville — 4:00 p.m. — RHP Tyler Heineman — Live Stats
- Saturday — @ Purdue — 1:00 p.m. — RHP Michael Bottoms
- Sunday — @ Le Moyne — 1:00 p.m. — RHP Quentin Morgan