Dan Uggla; Photo from Wikimedia Commons
A few afternoon notes to pass along as some updates of some of the storylines we were following before the Holidays.
- Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports a source with the Marlins says the chances of Louisville-native Dan Uggla beginning 2010 with the Marlins are increasing daily.
- University of Kentucky alum Andy Green resigned a Minor League contract with the New York Mets.
- Hap Fry of the Fort Collins Coloradoan profiles Rocky Mountain High School’s baseball program which produced current UK infielder Andy Burns.
- Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports arbitration raises to players including UK alum Joe Blanton will affect what the Phillies can do in the remainder of the offseason.
- Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune (writing for Baseball America) had this to say about UK alum John Shelby in BA’s White Sox prospect chat: (subscription required)
- “Treybone is still on the organization’s radar because of his speed-power combination. But he’s definitely viewed more as a possible role player than a likely regular. He needs to get his batting average back up near .300 this year, and that will be a challenge.“
Chris Burke; Photo by grovesa16 via Flickr
Two quick transactions from Kentucky minor leaguers to pass along; first the good news then the bad. C. Trent Rosecrans of CNATI.com reports Louisville-native Chris Burke has signed a minor-league contract with the Cincinnati Reds. Burke will compete for a major league utility spot with the Reds in Spring Training, and if he doesn’t make the team he’ll begin 2009 with his hometown Louisville Bats. “I think we see him as a potential candidate for the utility role on the major league club and if nothing else, he’ll play at Louisville, he’s from Louisville, it’s his hometown and he’s very excited about the possibility to play for either club,” Reds GM Walt Jocketty told Rosecrans. “He’s an experienced guy that might be able to help us.” (Read more)
In less positive news for Bluegrass fans, Lexington-native and University of Kentucky alum Andy Green was released by the New York Mets Thursday. The Mets made the procedural move to free up space on their 40-man roster. Green now becomes a free agent.
Corey Hart; Photo from Wikimedia Commons
Lots of Winter Meetings rumors to get to this morning. As for the other major Kentucky baseball story, some outlets had reported we should expect a response from James Paxton’s attorneys to the UK motion Monday, but I’ve seen no report that happened. As soon as I hear something about the case I’ll pass it on here.
- Joel Sherman of The New York Post tweets that the New York Mets are talking about a trade of starting pitcher John Maine to the Milwaukee Brewers for Bowling Green-native Corey Hart.
- Matthew Pouliot of NBC Sports writes the Brewers should be cautious when considering that trade, there might be more to Maine’s medical history than meets the eye.
- Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel cautions that this may be a trade than never moves past the initial discussion stage, but Maine’s ties to Brewers’ pitching coach Rick Peterson may facilitate further talks.
- Jeff Zrebiec of The Baltimore Sun writes there has been no recent talks about any Baltimore Orioles trade for Louisville-native Dan Uggla.
- Joe Frisaro of MLB.com writes Uggla faces an uncertain future.