Todd Wellemeyer; Photo from Wikimedia Commons
Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Eastern Kentucky University senior right-handed pitcher Stephen Hefler was named the Ohio Valley Conference pitcher of the week.
- Lexington Legends catcher Chris Wallace was named the South Atlantic League player of the week.
- Kendall Rogers of Perfect Game USA lists Western Kentucky University among the 25 teams to watch outside of the website’s top 25 ranking.
- Aaron Fitt of Baseball America has WKU in and the University of Louisville out of his latest NCAA tournament projection.
- Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago reports the Cubs hope Louisville native and former Bellarmine right-handed pitcher Todd Wellemeyer is just one week away from pitching in a simulated game.
Matt Harris; BluGrass Baseball photo
Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Western Kentucky University freshman right-handed pitcher Justin Hageman was named the Sun Belt Conference pitcher of the week.
- Eastern Kentucky University junior right-handed pitcher Matt Harris was named the Ohio Valley Conference co-pitcher of the week.
- Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports Bowling Green native Corey Hart has turned a corner in his rehab from an oblique injury and will take batting practice this week with hopes of returning in time for the Brewers’ next homestand on April 22.
- Kendall Rogers of Perfect Game USA includes WKU among the weekend winners in college baseball and the University of Kentucky among the weekend losers.
- Steve Dilbeck of The Los Angeles Times reports PLD alum A. J. Ellis was packing his bags after the Dodgers planned to send him to AAA to make room for starting pitcher John Ely on the roster but was saved by a last-minute injury to the team’s other backup catcher Hector Giminez.
- The University of Louisville dropped to No. 25 in the latest NCBWA top 30 poll, and WKU was included in the “others receiving votes” category.
- Don’t forget that 2010 No. 1 overall pick Bryce Harper will be playing in Lexington this weekend versus the Lexington Legends from Monday to Thursday.
The Ohio Valley Conference has released its preseason coaches’ poll and all-conference team with several Kentucky collegians making the cut. Morehead State University junior catcher Taylor Davis and Eastern Kentucky University junior designated hitter Jacob Daniel were named to the preseason all-Ohio Valley Conference team, and the Colonels were picked to finish fifth in the conference, highest of the three Kentucky OVC teams. The OVC coaches picked Murray State University to finish sixth and Morehead St. to finish ninth in the conference.
Davis started 45 games for the Eagles in 2010, batting .350 with 11 home runs, 57 RBI and eight doubles. Davis set an OVC season-high in 2010 with nine RBI against EKU on April 17. Daniel batted .292 with six home runs, 11 doubles two triples , 27 RBI and 33 runs scored while starting 42 games as the EKU designated hitter last season. Daniel batted .322 with four home runs during conference play in 2010 but faces stiff competition from junior A. J. Jamison for the primary 2010 EKU designated hitter. (Read more)
On Tuesday Eastern Kentucky University became the latest Kentucky baseball program to release its 2011 schedule. In the next post in our “2011 Schedule Breakdown” series we’ll look at the Colonels’ upcoming slate, highlighting in-state matchups and other important series:
- Feb. 18-20 — @ Pepperdine — Season Opener
- Feb. 26-27 — vs. Penn State — Home Opener
- March 3-6 — vs. Southern Illinois, Memphis, Oral Roberts — Memphis Classic Tournament
- March 8 — @ University of Kentucky
- April 16-17 — vs. Morehead State University
- May 3 — vs. Western Kentucky University
- May 7-8 — vs. Murray State University
- May 25 — Ohio Valley Conference Tournament
You can see the full schedule here.
While the Southeastern Conference and Big East Conference get the most headlines in our state, there is only one division one conference with three state teams: the Ohio Valley. Kendall Rogers of Yahoo! Sports has released his OVC 2010 preview and it’s littered with Kentucky teams and players. Rogers picks Murray State to finish second, Morehead State to finish third and Eastern Kentucky University to finish eighth of nine teams in 2010. (Read more)
Rogers also gives us his All-OVC team. I’ve included the Kentucky players below:
- 1B Wes Cunningham — Murray State
- 2B Jonathan Craycraft — Murray State
- SS Drew Lee — Morehead State
- 3B Jayson Langfels — EKU
- OF Daniel Hill — Murray State
- OF J. D. Ashbrook — Morhead State
- SP Chris Craycraft — Murray State
- OVC Best Hitter — SS Drew Lee — Morehead State