- Brett Dawson of the Courier-Journal previews tonight’s UK/UofL showdown and reports the players say it’s not just another game.
- Aaron Smith of the Kentucky Kernel reports UK has had this game circled on its calendar.
- UK Athletics previews the contest.
- Eric Lindsey of “Cat Scratches” writes the rivalry game presents a win-win opportunity for UK to turn its season around.
- UofL senior first baseman Andrew Clark was named the Big East Player of the week, and junior left-handed pitcher Dean Kiekhefer was named to the pitching honor roll.
- Murray State University senior outfielder Daniel Hill was named the Ohio Valley Conference player of the week.
- UofL stayed at No. 9 and Western Kentucky University dropped to No. 21 in the latest Baseball America rankings.
Players of Week, Top 25 rankings, WKU and UK profilesCollege Baseball
Lots of college news to get you through the morning:
- Pleasure Ridge Park alum and Arkansas third baseman Zack Cox was named Southeastern Conference Player of the Week after batting .556 and stretching his hitting streak to 23 games.
- Morehead State University sophomore outfielder Cameron Flynn was named Ohio Valley Conference player of the week, and Eastern Kentucky University sophomore right-handed reliever Matt Harris was named OVC pitcher of the week. (Both players were also honored with the BluGrass Baseball weekly honors)
- Northern Kentucky University ace was named the Great Lakes Valley Conference pitcher of the week for the second time this season.
- The University of Louisville moved up to No. 11 in the latest Baseball America top 25, and Western Kentucky University moved up to No. 18.
- UofL stayed at No. 7 in the latest Rivals.com top 25 and WKU moved into the rankings at No. 24.
- NKU moved up to No. 19 in the latest Division II poll from The College Baseball Newspaper.
- Mike Stunson of the College Heights Herald reports on WKU’s best start in school history.
- Stunson also profiles WKU senior second baseman Matt Payton.
- Herald columnist Jonathan Lintner writes WKU coach Chris Finwood is building a baseball powerhouse.
- Aaron Smith of the Kentucky Kernel profiles the University of Kentucky bullpen.
Cunningham, Rice named their respective conference POWsCollege Baseball
Murray State University first baseman Wes Cunningham and Western Kentucky University catcher Matt Rice were each named their respective conference players of the week for week five. Cunningham was honored by the Ohio Valley Conference and Rice was honored by the Sun Belt Conference. Rice batted ..538 with two home runs, 13 RBI and seven doubles on the week, and Cunningham batted .667 with four home runs, 12 RBI and 13 runs scored. You can also read WKU and Murray St.’s releases about the honors.
Murray St.’s Propst named OVC player of weekCollege Baseball
Murray State University senior designated hitter Bryan Propst was named the Ohio Valley Conference player of the week Monday. Propst finished Murray State’s three-game sweep of Lipscomb 7-14 with two home runs, five runs scored and five RBI. Propst launched a home run in the first and third games of the series and scored twice and drove in one in the second game. The Racers head to Lexington on Wednesday to play the University of Kentucky. (Read more)