Ben Revere; Photo by Pat Neshek
The Arizona Fall League season came to an end over the weekend, meaning several Kentucky players saw the official end of their 2010 seasons. Check out a quick rundown of Kentucky AFL stats below:
- OF Ben Revere (Lexington Catholic) — .295/.358/.330, 20 R, 12 SB, 9 RBI
- 2B Jason Kipnis (UK) — .295/.337/.628, 3 HR, 19 RBI, 13 R
- RHP Josh Lueke (NKU) — 0-1, 0.79 ERA, 2 SV, 12 SO/3 BB, 11.1 IP
- 3B Zack Cox (PRP) — .262/.333/.446, 2 HR, 14 RBI, 8 R
- RHP B. J. Rosenberg (UofL) — 0-1, 8.53 ERA, 10 SO/8 BB, 12.2 IP
- RHP Henry Mabee (Morehead St.) — 0-0, 6.92 ERA, 5 SO/9 BB, 13 IP
- RHP Michael Broadway (Paducah) — 0-1, 10.13 ERA, 5 SO/1 BB, 5.1 IP
- OF Dave Sappelt (Louisville Bats) — .291/.316/.319, 10 RBI, 9 R
- C Devin Mesoraco (Louisville Bats) — .242/.250/.455, 2 HR, 11 RBI, 7 R
- LHP Philippe Valiquette (Louisville Bats) — 0-1, 14.14 ERA, 5 SO/5 BB, 7 IP
Revere led the AFL with 12 stolen bases.
Ben Revere; Photo from Wikimedia Commons
Latest links from around Kentucky baseball from the first day of the offseason:
- Lexington Catholic alum Ben Revere, PRP alum Zack Cox, one-time UK outfielder Jason Kipnis, Louisville Bats catcher Devin Mesoraco and Bats left-handed pitcher Philippe Valiquette were named to the Arizona Fall League Rising Stars game to be played on Saturday.
- The Lexington Hustlers of the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League have announced initial signings for the 2011 summer season including a plethora of Kentucky natives.
- Jack Magruder of FoxSportsArizona.com reports Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb is unlikely to return to the Diamondbacks.
- Game four of Morehead State University‘s fall scrimmage series was highlighted by senior right-handed pitcher Trey Smith, who struck out seven in six innings.
- Kipnis was 2-5 with a home run, two RBI and two runs scored for the Peoria Javelinas of the AFL.
- Revere extended his AFL hitting streak to eight games by going 1-6 with two runs scored and his ninth stolen base for the Peoria Saguaros.
Ryan Strieby; Photo via Flickr by mwlguide
The Arizona Fall League, Major League Baseball’s postseason league for some of its top prospects, has released its preliminary rosters for the 2010 season, and several Kentucky alumni were included. I’ve listed those players below with MLB organization and AFL team:
- B. J. Rosenberg (UofL) — Philadelphia Phillies — Mesa Solar Sox
- Josh Lueke (NKU) — Seattle Mariners — Peoria Javelinas
- Jason Kipnis (UK) — Cleveland Indians — Peoria Javelinas
- Henry Mabee (Morehead) — Chicago White Sox — Peoria Saguraros
- Ben Revere (Lexington Catholic) — Minnesota Twins — Peoria Saguraros
- Michael Broadway (Paducah) — Atlanta Braves — Phoenix Desert Dogs
- Ryan Strieby (UK) — Detroit Tigers — Surprise Rafters
Several current and former Louisville Bats, Bowling Green Hot Rods and Lexington Legends will also play in the league:
- Kyle Greenwalt — Lexington Legends — Peoria Javelinas
- Matt Nevarez — Lexington Legends — Peoria Javelinas
- Sergio Perez — Lexington Legends — Peoria Javelinas
- Patrick Urckfitz — Lexington Legends — Peoria Javelinas
- Koby Clemens — Lexington Legends — Peoria Javelinas
- Philippe Valiquette — Louisville Bats — Peoria Saguraros
- Devin Mesoraco — Louisville Bats — Peoria Saguraros
- Dave Sappelt — Louisville Bats — Peoria Saguraros
- Neil Schenk — Bowling Green Hot Rods — Peoria Saguraros
- Henry Wrigley — Bowling Green Hot Rods — Peoria Saguraros
You can see the full AFL rosters via Baseball America here.