Taylor Black; UK Athletics photo
Recaps and highlights from Wednesday Kentucky college baseball action:
- The University of Kentucky scored nine runs over two consecutive innings to earn its eighth win in the last nine games with a 12-4 victory over Canisius. Sophomore right-handed pitcher Walter Wijas earned the win after surrendering two unearned runs in one and two-third innings of work. Senior shortstop Taylor Black was 3-4 with four RBI and two runs scored, and junior left fielder Chad Wright was 3-4 with two runs scored. Senior designated hitter Mike Kaczmarek slugged his first collegiate home run, and sophomore center fielder Brian Adams was 2-2 with two runs scored. Freshman right-handed pitcher Jonathan Paquet surrendered two runs on five hits in four and one-third innings while striking out five batters and walking one in the start. (Box Score)
- Eastern Kentucky University‘s losing streak hit seven games and the Colonels fell to 0-10 on the road this season with a 6-3 loss to Miami (OH). Sophomore right-handed pitcher Anthony Bazzani took the loss after surrendering four runs on seven hits in six and two-third innings while striking out five batters and walking three. Junior designated hitter Jacob Daniel and freshman third baseman Bryan Soloman were both 2-4 in the game. EKU jumped out to a 3-1 lead after six innings, but Miami (OH) scored four runs in the seventh inning and one run in the eighth inning to blow the game open. (Box Score)
- Morehead State University‘s game versus Pikeville College was postponed due to rain and will be made up at a later date.
Hitter of the day: SS Taylor Black (UK)
- Stats: 3-5, 4 RBI, 2 R
- Honorable Mention: Chad Wright (UK), Braden Kapteyn (UK), Mike Kaczmarek (UK), Brian Adams (UK), Jacob Daniel (EKU), Bryan Soloman (EKU)
Pitcher of the day: RHP Jonathan Paquet (UK)
- Stats: 4.1 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
- Honorable Mention: Anthony Bazzani (EKU), Walter Wijas (UK)
It’s time for the week six midweek schedule with probable starters listed when available:
- University of Louisville (12-7) vs. Kent State — RHP Jeff Thompson (0-0, 0.00 ERA) — 3 p.m. — Gametracker
- Eastern Kentucky University (6-13) vs. Miami (OH) — RHP Matt Harris (0-0, 2.79 ERA) — 3 p.m. — Live Stats
- Morehead State University (3-17) vs. Canisius — RHP Cody Gibson (1-3, 17.55) — 3 p.m. — Live Stats
- Murray State University (8-11) vs. Mid-Continent University — LHP Kyle Cornett (0-1, 13.97 ERA) vs. LHP Allen Haase (2-1, 3.68 ERA) — 3 p.m. (CT)
- University of Kentucky (12-8) vs. Cincinnati — LHP Corey Littrell (2-1, 6.75 ERA) — 6:30 p.m. — Gametracker
- Western Kentucky University (13-6) vs. Austin Peay — RHP Taylor Haydel (1-1, 7.48 ERA) — 6 p.m. (CT)
- Morehead St. vs. Pikeville College — TBA vs. TBA — 5 p.m.
- EKU @ Miami (OH) — RHP Anthony Bazzani (0-4, 15.34 ERA) — 6 p.m.
- UK vs. Canisius — RHP Jonathan Paquet (0-0, 5.14 ERA) — 6:30 p.m. — Gametracker
Morehead State University is the latest Kentucky school to release its 2011 baseball schedule. Check out a breakdown of important game and in-state rivalry matchups below:
- Feb. 18-20 — @ Western Carolina University — Season opener
- Feb. 22 — vs. University of Kentucky — Home Opener
- Feb. 25-27 — vs. Purdue University
- March 1 — @ University of Louisville
- March 4-6 — vs. Indiana, Bradley, Tennessee — University of Tennessee Tournament
- March 15 — vs. Georgetown College
- March 23 — vs. Pikeville College
- April 16-17 — @ Eastern Kentucky University
- April 27 — vs. Kentucky Wesleyan College
- May 14-15 — vs. Murray State University
- May 25-29 — Ohio Valley Conference Tournament
You can see the full schedule here.
Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Louisville Bats first baseman Yonder Alonso was named the International League player o the week, and Lexington Legends outfielder Jacob Goebbert was named the South Atlantic League player of the week.
- Mike Marsee of the The Advocate-Messenger in Danville reports recently graduated Boyle County High School pitcher Blake Bottoms will walk-on at Eastern Kentucky University instead of following through on his commitment to Pikeville College.
- Jason Stella of the Louisville Bats media relations department recaps a historic July that saw the Bats tally a franchise-record 22 wins.
- J. J. Cooper of Baseball America profiles recent improvements by Alonso and Bats left-handed pitcher Aroldis Chapman.
- Murray State University has hired former Tennessee Tech assistant coach Chris Cole as baseball recruiting coordinator.
- LEX18 reports part of the proceeds from the August country music concert hosted by the Legends at Applebee’s Park featuring Randy Travis, LeAnn Rimes and Craig Morgan will go to support Pike County flood victims. For anyone who uses the special PIKERELIEF promotional code when purchasing a $37 ticket, $20 will go to relief efforts.