Check out a recap from EKU’s Tuesday win and more notes from the WKU offensive onslaught:
- Eastern Kentucky University beat up on NAIA University of the Cumberlands for a 15-2 win Tuesday. Sophomore outfielder Michael Garcia was 2-3 with four RBI and a run scored. Junior outfielder Richie Allen and senior first baseman Anthony Ottrando both homered for the Colonels. (Box Score)
- You can read the full recap of the Western Kentucky University romp over the University of Kentucky below, but there are just too many stats to consider to condense into one post. The game was played in front of 6,183 fans, the largest crowd to ever watch a college baseball game in Kentucky. WKU became just the fourth team to have 16 consecutive batters reach base in a game and the first since 1998. (Box Score)
- Mike Stunson of the College Heights Herald recaps the WKU win.
- Nick Baumgardner of the Bowling Green Daily News also has a recap of the blowout.
Hitter of the Day: C Matt Rice (WKU)
- Stats: 5-6, 1 HR, 2 2Bs, 3 RBI, 3 R
- Honorable Mention: Matt Payton (WKU), Jared Andreoli (WKU), Logan Robbins (WKU), Lance Ray (UK), Joey Stevens (EKU), Michael Garcia (EKU)
Pitcher of the Day: RHP Brian Edelen (WKU)
- Stats: 1-0, 5 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
- Honorable Mention: Ross Hammonds (WKU), Anthony Bazzani (EKU), Chase Greene (UK)
- Greene gets the nod for being the only UK pitcher with any success against WKU.
Eastern Kentucky University scored three runs in the ninth inning, but fell two runs shy of completing the comeback in an 11-9 loss to Bowling Green State. BGSU took the lead with a five-run seventh inning. Junior center fielder Richie Allen drove in five runs for the Colonels, and senior first baseman Anthony Ottrando scored three times.
Junior right-handed pitcher Stephen Hefler took the loss after allowing six runs on eight hits in six innings. EKU fell to 7-8 on the season. (Box Score)
BluGrass Baseball POG: Anthony Ottrando — The senior first baseman was 2-3 with one RBI and three runs scored in the game. The slugger also walked twice and knocked out a double.
An RBI single from Presbyterian third baseman Matthew Hill drove home left fielder Jess Harmon in the bottom of the tenth inning to defeat Eastern Kentucky University 8-7 in game one of a three-game series. Harmon had reached base in the tenth on a fielder error from EKU sophomore second baseman Dustin Dunlop. EKU sophomore shortstop Richie Rodriguez was 4-5 with a home run, and sophomore right-fielder Michael Garcia was 2-3 with a home run.
Sophomore right-handed reliever Eric Sanders took the loss after allowing three run in one and one-third innings. Presbyterian scored two in the ninth against Sanders to send the game to extras. Junior third baseman Jayson Langfels was 3-5 and senior first baseman Anthony Ottrando and junior center fielder Richie Allen each had two hits in the game. EKU fell to 2-3 on the season. (Box Score)
BluGrass Baseball POG: Richie Rodriguez — The senior shortstop was 4-5 with a home run, one RBI and one run scored in the game. Rodriguez added a walk for good measure and is batting .409 with a home run and five RBI in five games this season.