Baseball America’s prospect rankings for the short-season Northwest League are out, and two former Bluegrass players are on it. Left-handed pitcher Robbie Ross, a LCA alum, ranked seventh on the list and third baseman Chris Dominguez, a UofL alum, ranked thirteenth. Since BA’s analysis is subscriber only I’ll refrain from giving away to many details, but here is a look at what scouts had to say about the pair. (Read more)
Robbie Ross — “Nearly every manager agreed that Ross was the best pitcher they faced this year. He was the only NWL hurler to finish in the top five in ERA (2.66) and strikeouts (76 in 74 innings).” Ross needs to get stronger to last through an entire full season in 2010.
Chris Dominguez — “Though he has a tendency to swing through breaking balls, he hits tape-measure shots when he connects.” Scouts say Dominguez’s large frame may prohibit him from staying at third base as a major leaguer.
Louisville isn’t the only team competing in the Minor League playoffs with BluGrass Baseball connections. Here is a rundown of some other Kentucky players’ postseason performances.
- EKU alum Christian Friedrich surrendered three runs in five innings while striking out 10 for high A Modesto in the California League playoffs Thursday.
- Former UofL standout Chris Dominguez was 1-17 in Salem-Keizer’s tun to the Northwest League Championship.
- Lexington native Ben Revere was 4-12 with two runs scored and two RBI in high A Fort Meyer’s first round elimination in the Florida State League playoffs.
- UofL alum Chris Cates was 0-3 for Fort Meyers.
- Trinity High alum Tyler Kuhn is 1-8 for high A Winston-Salem in the Carolina League playoffs.
- NKU alum Nathan Jones allowed two hits in one-third of an inning for Winston-Salem.
- UK alum Sawyer Carroll is 0-8 for San Antonio in the AA Texas League playoffs.
Former Southeastern Conference Player of the Year Ryan Strieby was just one of several alums of Kentucky schools with impressive performances around the minor leagues over the weekend. Check out his performance and more in these minor league box scores.