Sawyer Carroll; Photo: UK Athletics
We continue the awards series with the minor leagues. Eligible players are limited to Kentucky alumni and minor league players. However, only numbers achieved while with one of the three Kentucky minor league teams will be considered.
Player of the Year — OF Sawyer Carroll, AA San Antonio
- Carroll excelled at the University of Kentucky, but wasn’t projected to continue his college success in professional ball. However the former Cat standout has done nothing but hit since being drafted by the San Diego Padres. In 2009, Carroll batted .317 with eight home runs and 96 RBI.
- EKU alum Neil Sellers (.317, 17 HR, 86 RBI) and Legends 1B Brian Pellegrini (.291, 27 HR, 74 RBI) were considered but ultimately penalized due to age considerations.
Pitcher of the Year — RHP Christian Friedrich, High A Modesto
- EKU alum Christian Friedrich dominated in 2009 despite missing time with an injury. In 119.2 innings pitched Friedrich was 6-5 with a 2.41 ERA. He also struck out 159 in 22 games.
- Legends ace Jordan Lyles struck out 167 in 144.2 innings pitched, and Bowling Green ace Matt Moore led the minors with 176 strikeouts. Friedrich wins because he performed at a higher level and posted a lower by more than half a run.
Legends outfielder Steve Brown was named South Atlantic League player of the week after a week that saw him go 12-28 (.429) with three home runs and 11 RBI. Check out more on Brown’s honor and other BluGrass Baseball storylines in this mornings hot links:
- Minorleaguebaseball.com has a breakdown of each league’s player of the week including Brown.
- The Legends’ game was suspended due to rain with one out in the fifth inning. Lexington and Asheville will resume that game where it left off at 6:05 p.m. today before playing tonight’s scheduled game which has been shortened to seven innings.
- Kevin Barker’s home run gave Louisville a 4-3 victory over Lehigh Valley.
- The “Other Beckham” (Jeremy, Tim’s brother) hit his first professional home run in an 8-4 Bowling Green victory over Greenville.
- UK second baseman Chris Bisson was 1-6 with two runs scored in the Cotuit Kettleers’ series clinching victory against Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox in the Cape Cod League semi-finals. UK pitcher Matt Little surrendered two runs in the game in 2.2 innings of relief for Yarmouth-Dennis.
- UK baseball has announced a “5-Tool Camp” scheduled for Labor Day weekend.
- The Associated Press reports that Toronto Blue Jays GM J. P. Riccardi wants MLB to move up the signing deadline for draft picks after the team has failed to sign eight of its first 10 picks, including UK pitcher James Paxton, so far.
- Here is a piece I wrote for Examiner.com about the top prospects on the Lexington Legends’ roster.
- EKU alum Christian Friedrich continued his domination of California League opponents by striking out eight in 6.2 innings to lower his ERA to 1.32 and earn his third win in the league.
- According to Baseball America, the Tigers placed former UK pitcher Scott Green on the 7-day disabled list and the Padres placed former UK pitcher Andrew Albers on the 60-day DL.