The Arizona Fall League regular season officially wrapped up Thursday. No Kentucky players are represented in the championship game to be played tomorrow, so their AFL seasons are now over. With that in mind here’s a look at each BluGrass Baseball AFL season:
RHP Chaz Roe — Lexington, Ky. — Scottsdale Scorpions
- 0-2, 4.50 ERA, 10 SO/4 BB
- 5 GS, 12 IP, .365 BA against
OF Chris Heisey — Louisville Bats — Peoria Saguaros
- .297, 5 home runs, 14 RBI
1B Yonder Alonso — Louisville Bats — Peoria Saguaros
- .267, 2 home runs, 23 RBI
RHP Logan Ondrusek — Louisville Bats — Peoria Saguaros
- 2-1, 13.50 ERA, 8 SO/2 BB
- 10 games, 10 IP, 1 save
RHP Sean Watson — Louisville Bats — Peoria Saguaros
- 0-1, 7.11 ERA, 12 SO/6 BB
- 10 games, 12.2 IP, .371 BA against
RHP Daniel Meszaros — Lexington Legends — Peoria Saguaros
- 0-0, 4.63 ERA, 15 SO/3 BB
- 12 games, 11.2 IP, 1 save
Todd Wellemeyer; Photo from Wikimedia Commons
Another Bluegrass native has filed for free agency. Check out that story and more in some Tuesday morning links:
- Bellarmine alum Todd Wellemeyer has filed for free agency, and Matthew Leach of MLB.com reports he is unlikely to return to St. Louis following a disappointing season.
- In a related not, Wellemeyer is on Twitter, but hasn’t tweeted since June. His silence roughly coincides with the decline of his season.
- WKUSports.com has a breakdown of Western’s fall baseball series.
- The Lexington Herald Leader looks at UK’s 2010 baseball schedule.
- The estate of baseball’s first free agent Curt Flood will auction off Flood memorabilia at the Louisville Slugger Museum Saturday.
- 2009 Bat Chris Hesiey was 0-5 and teammate Yonder Alonso was 1-4 for Peoria of the Arizona Fall League. Louisville reliever Sean Watson pitched 1.2 scoreless innings and closer Logan Ondrusek allowed two unearned runs in one frame.
UK Athletics Wallpaper
If you missed it, the Yankees are now up 3-1 in the ALCS against the Angels. With New York and Philadelphia both just a victory away from the world series we may be looking at a Joe Blanton game three or four start in Philadelphia against the Yankees. But Tuesday was full of Kentucky college news, so here are some links to get you caught up:
- Aaron Fitt at Baseball America answers a question from a Lexington reader about former UK coach John Cohen in his college recruiting chat.
- UK Athletics has a news release about the BA recruiting class rankings.
- The Swiss Cheese team, behind freshman Kyle Grieshaber, earned the win in game one of UofL Baseball’s Fall Pizza Bowl scrimmage.
- WKU Baseball is continuing fall practice before its fall scrimmage on Nov. 5-7.
- Murray State baseball has released its 2010 schedule.
- Chris Heisey was 3-4 with two runs and a double for Peoria in the Arizona Fall League. Yonder Alonso was 1-5. Bats reliever Sean Watson pitched two scoreless innings while former Legend Daniel Meszaros surrendered two runs in one-third inning.
Colling Cowgill; Photo: UK Athletics
We let you know about some of the BluGrass Baseball players that would be participating in the prestigious Arizona Fall League when preliminary rosters were first released, but with the league starting its schedule Tuesday I thought we’d look at the final rosters. Clicking on the team name will take you to its full roster.
Mesa Solar Sox
- RHP Daniel Meszaros — Lexington Legends
- RHP Logan Ondrusek — Louisville Bats
- RHP Sean Watson — Louisville Bats
- 1B Yonder Alonso — Louisville Bats
- OF Chris Heisey — Louisville Bats
Phoenix Desert Dogs
- RHP Chaz Roe — Lafayette High School
- OF Collin Cowgill — UK
Chris Heisey, Logan Ondrusek and Sean Watson won’t be heading home for the winter when Louisville’s season ends in September. Heisey, an outfielder, and the two pitchers will join the Peoria Saguaros of the prestigious Arizona Fall League following the season. Former Legend Dan Meszaros will also play for the Saguaros.
The Arizona Fall League is designed for some of the top prospects in the minor leagues to get some extra baseball action following the completion of their full-season leagues. Reds top prospect Yonder Alonso will also play in the Fall League before he likely heads to Louisville in 2010.