- The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association named University of Louisville junior infielder Ryan Wright a second-team preseason All American.
- Eastern Kentucky University has announced its 100 Years of Baseball celebration for the upcoming season. EKU will unveil its All-Century baseball team on Feb. 5.
- Butler High School infielder Ryan Asher, Mercer County High School corner infielder Colin Buckner and Knox Central High School right-handed pitcher Justin King have signed to play baseball at Lincoln Memorial University.
- Bob Livingston of the Daily Republican Register reports several former Wabash Valley College baseball players are moving on to Kentucky universities: Noah Zipko and Alex Gordon have signed with Murray State University and Steve Hodgins has signed with Western Kentucky University.
- The Tampa Bay Rays have announced Brady Williams will return as the Bowling Green Hot Rods manager in 2011.
In the latest early signing class breakdown we’ll look at Western Kentucky University. The Hilltoppers signed five players during the early period. Check out some 2010 stats from each player below with a news release quote from WKU coach Chris Finwood.
RHP/INF/OF Matt Spalding — St. Xavier High School
- 2010 Honors: No. 1 prospect in state according to Perfect Game
- Finwood: “Matt is a true two-way player. He can really swing the bat and projects as a very productive hitter in college. He can play outfield and infield as well. Matt is also an exceptional talent on the mound and has been clocked as high as 94-95 this fall. He is an outstanding student as well.”
LHP Ian Tompkins — St. Xavier High School
- 2010 Honors: All-State in 2010
- Finwood: “Finding a quality high school lefty was a big priority for us this fall and Ian has been a bit of a late bloomer but by the middle of the summer, everyone was on him. We got on Ian early and stayed the course and we are excited to add him to our pitching staff.”
OF Ryan Fucci — Tates Creek High School
- 2010 Honors: All-City in baseball, All-State in basketball
- Finwood: “Ryan is a tremendous athlete and one of the better basketball players in the state as well as an outstanding baseball player. Ryan projects as a centerfielder and once he commits himself to playing baseball full time, he will become a pretty good professional prospect as well.”
RHP Jerad Eickhoff — Olney Central CC
- 2010 Honors: 46th Round pick of Cubs
- Finwood: “Jerad is a big strong hard throwing righty who is playing for former Hilltopper great Casey Hamilton at Olney. Jared was drafted by the Chicago Cubs last year in the 46th round. Jerad is a great student and should vie for a rotation spot right away.”
SS Steve Hodgins — Wabash Valley CC
- 2010 Honors: JC team finished season ranked No. 5 in country
- Finwood: “Steve is an energy type player who really can play shortstop and has a quality left-handed bat. He is the son of a major league scout and has grown up around the game. Steve handles the bat well, can bunt and run and is very solid on defense. He was exactly what we were looking for to solidify our middle infield situation for next year.”
You can read the full WKU news release here.