The Kentucky High School Baseball Coaches Association has released its latest top 25, and two Lexington teams headline the rankings. No. 1 Lexington Catholic and No. 2 Lexington Christian will face off Tuesday in one of the biggest games of the high school season. For more information about the showdown check out Adam Revelette’s preview for Examiner.com here.
KHSCBA Top 25
- Lexington Catholic (22) — 786 pts.
- Lexington Christian (3) — 701 pts.
- Eastern (4) — 640 pts.
- Pleasure Ridge Park (1) — 619 pts.
- West Jessamine (7) — 600 pts.
- St. Xavier (4) — 591 pts.
- Tates Creek (1) — 518 pts.
- Apollo (2) — 453 pts.
- Harrison County (1) — 392
- Male — 367
- Trinity — 263
- Henderson County — 252
- Franklin County — 248
- Lafayette — 244
- Elizabethtown (1) — 240
- Ballard — 217
- Glasgow — 197
- Dupont Manual (1) — 190
- Central Hardin — 166
- Bullit East — 134
- Western Hills — 127
- Butler — 114
- Mercer County — 108
- Danville (1) — 99
- Bryan Station (1) — 96
Earlier today we linked Perfect Game USA‘s underclassmen high school All-American teams. Perfect Game partnered with Rawlings Sporting Goods to release the senior All-American team a few weeks ago, but several Kentucky high schoolers and in-state college signees were honored, so the list is still worth passing along. I’ve included those players with school and college commitment below, but you can see the full team here.
3rd Team All-American
- LHP Corey Littrell — Trinity — University of Kentucky
- C Jake DePew — Granite City (Ill.) — University of Louisville
- RHP Kim Dace — Defiance (Ohio) — UofL
High Honorable Mention
- RHP Patrick Maronde — Lexington Catholic — Coastal Carolina
- LHP Joel Bender — Oak Hills (Ohio) — UofL
- INF Alex Chittenden — Lawrence Central (Ind.) — UofL
- RHP Chad Green — Effingham (Ill.) — UofL
- P Jeffrey Thompson — Floyd Centrall (Ind.) — UofL
- RHP Trevor Gott — Tates Creek — UK
- OF Gavin Patton — IMG Academies (Fla.) — UK
- RHP Blake Perry — Danville, IMG Academies (Fla.) — UK
- SS Matt Reida — Russiaville (Ind.) — UK
- OF G. J. Strauss — Chesterfield (Mo.) — Western Kentucky University
Hit the jump for players honored on regional teams
Perfect Game USA has released its preseason high school underclassmen All-American lists, and several Kentucky preps were included in the honorable mention category. I’ve listed those below with graduation year, but you can see the full team here. (Hat tip to Adam Revelette of Examiner.com.)
Mark Biggs — Warren East (2011)
Zach Clooney — St. Xavier (2011)
Chandler Shepherd — Lawrence County (2011)
Matt Spalding — St. Xavier (2011)
Chase Armstrong- Lexington Catholic (2012)
Zach Arnold- Franklin County (2012)
Michael Bollmer- Bryan Station (2012)
Beau Bouthilette- Elizabethtown (2011)
Clay Cinnamon- Mercer County (2011)
Jeremy Cline- Warren Central (2011)
Spencer Drake- Eastern (2012)
Ryan Fucci- Tates Creek (2012)
Kevin Herren- Lafayette (2012)
Matt Honchel- Harrodsburg (2011)
Will Hurt- Lexington Catholic (2012)
Tyler Jackson- Lexington Catholic (2012)
Jackson Laumann- Boone County (2011)
Matt McGowan- University Heights (2011)
Logan McQuerry- George Rogers Clark (2012)
Dalton Mellott- Ohio County (2011)
Cody Moore- Lawrence County (2011)
Logan Shaftner- Lafayette (2011)
Blake Smith- Lafayette (2011)
Andrew Willinger- St. Xavier (2012)
The first of our fall signing period class breakdowns comes this afternoon with the most recent release. The University of Kentucky signed nine in its fall class, so we’ll start here and work down based on number of signees. Below are all nine player in the class with 2009 statistics and a quote from UK Head Coach Gary Henderson. You can see the complete release here.
RHP/INF Trevor Gott — Tates Creek High School
- .382 batting average, 1.12 ERA, All-City 2009
- Henderson: “Trevor is a good athlete and has tremendous arm strength. He had a lot of success in his baseball career at a young age and we have watched him for a long time. His body is beginning to get some strength, which is going to help him tremendously on the mound.”
LHP Corey Littrell — Trinity High School
- 13-2, 0.72 ERA, 141 SO, 111 IP
- Henderson: “Corey has an advanced ability to pitch for his age. He can already command his fastball and he has a very good change-up that he can throw for a strike. We expect him to pitch early and often during his UK career. He is a serious competitor that we have a chance to build a staff around. He will need to make the same adjustments that they all do but I expect him to compete for innings immediately.”
INF Paul McConkey — Knoxville, Tenn.
- .482, 8 HR, 37 RBI
- Henderson: “Paul has a very good feel to hit and he can play all three infield spots. He also plays the game with a lot of confidence and poise. That is hard to find in a 17-year old. He is an extremely good competitor who is serious about being a great baseball player. His attitude and make-up are strong. He will bring an approach that will make those around him better.”
OF Gavin Patton — South Charleston, W.V.
- .418, 3 HR, 39 RBI @ IMG Academy in Florida
- Henderson: “Gavin already looks like a SEC outfielder, he’s big, strong and moves well for his size. He brings a combination of speed and power that is hard to come by. We are very excited about him becoming a Wildcat. He plays extremely hard, competes at a high level and will bring an energy to our club that fans and teammates will enjoy.”
RHP Blake Perry — Danville, Ky.
- 5-0, 0.95 ERA, 63 SO, 44 IP (Summer League)
- Henderson: “Blake has good body control and feel to pitch for a large-frame pitcher. He shows solid command of three pitches and falls into the category of very projectable. He wants to be an outstanding pitcher and I anticipate him being a great worker. He has tremendous potential and we are excited to watch him develop.”
RHP/INF J. T. Riddle — Western Hills High School
- .478, 2 HR, 11 RBI — 3-3, 1.64 ERA
- Henderson: “J.T. is a gifted athlete that is talented enough to be a two-way player in the SEC. He is like most kids we get in that he needs to develop more strength. J.T. has a good swing, moves well defensively and is clearly a talented pitcher. He has had a lot of success in everything he has done in high school. We are glad to have him with us and are eager to see how he develops.”
INF Matt Reida — Russiaville, Ind.
- .429. 3 HR, 17 RBI
- Henderson: “Matt is a tremendous competitor. He brings a seriousness and a level of competitiveness that will put him in the center of our club immediately. Matt brings very good baseball skills, great feel for the game and a winner’s presence. He will eventually be a leader, an outstanding leadoff hitter and a middle-infield presence for our club.”
INF Dallen Reber — St. George, Utah
- .407, 7 HR, 30 RBI
- Henderson: “Dallen brings a winner’s personality and a lot of athleticism. He is an absolute winner with very good baseball skills. He is the type of kid that other kids like to be around. He has a combination of strength, speed and skills that we are very excited to bring to our program.”
OF Lucas Witt — Lexington Christian Academy
- .377, 4 HR, 20 RBI
- Henderson: “Lucas is an outstanding athlete and an every better young man. He has had a lot of success in both baseball and football at the high school level. He brings with him the knowledge of what it takes to be successful. He is a great competitor, knows how to work and he will make those around him better. We are very excited to see how he develops once he devotes himself to baseball full-time.”