One thing we can all be proud of as Kentucky sports fans is the state’s involvement in the relief efforts after the devastating earthquake in Haiti a few weeks ago. This morning we linked a report about the University of Louisville baseball team’s help and the University of Kentucky “Hoops for Haiti” telethon has received lots of national attention. Now the Lexington Legends are adding to the Bluegrass swell of support by donating funds from single-game, group and walk-up ticket sales for their April 18 game.
All funds will be donated to the UNICEF relief fund, and the team will also collect material goods at the gates on the day of the game. Central Kentucky baseball fans can send a message by selling out the game. “We’re always working very hard on supporting our local community, but we’re also very proud and happy when we can support communities outside Central Kentucky,” Legends General Manager Andy Shea said in a news release. “This is one of many ticket promotions and opportunities we will be doing to support the victims of the earthquake in Haiti.”
Chris Bisson; Photo: UK Athletics
Wednesday was a losing night for Bluegrass Baseball teams, and Kentucky connections. Check out the Cape Cod League finals and other storylines in Thursday morning’s hot links.
- UK infielder Chris Bisson and the Cotuit Kettleers lost in game two of the Cape Cod League finals, giving the title to the Bourne Braves. Bisson was 0-3 with a walk in the 5-1 loss.
- Phillies top prospect Michael Taylor hit for the cycle to lead the Lehigh Valley IronPigs to their first win in seven games against Louisville this season with a 10-9 victory Wednesday.
- Pirates first round pick Tony Sanchez and the West Virginia Power defeated Lexington 9-2 in the series opener.
- “Cat Scratches” reports on Braden Kapteyn’s NYCBL MVP, which was first reported here and on the BluGrass Baseball twitter.
- Baseball America named Louisville outfielder Drew Stubbs best baserunner, best defensive outfielder and best outfield arm in the International League in a survey of IL managers. (Subscriber only)
- EKU Alum Christian Friedrich and Lexington Legend Jordan Lyles both received votes in the South Atlantic League best pitcher poll conducted by Baseball America to SAL managers.
- Will Graves (Former Kernelite) at the Associated Press reports on UK Athletics 15x15x15 plan.
- Jason Stella profiles Louisville Bat Kevin Barker at Examiner.com.