Colling Cowgill; Photo: UK Athletics
Highlights from Sunday Kentucky MiLB baseball:
- The Lexington Legends held off a late rally in a 5-4 win over Augusta. Designated hitter Michael Kvasnicka was 3-4 with two RBI, and shortstop Jiovanni Mier was 2-4 with two doubles and two runs scored.
- Louisville native and former UofL infielder Adam Duvall slugged his fourth home run of the season for Augusta. Louisville native Jason Chowning was credited with a hold for Lexington after pitching two scoreless innings of relief.
- The Bowling Green Hot Rods used a quality start from right-handed pitcher Victor Mateo to earn a 5-2 win over Dayton. Mateo improved to 2-2 on the season after surrendering two runs on three hits in six innings while striking out six batters and walking none.
- The Louisville Bats blew surrendered three runs after the sixth inning in a 5-2 loss to Norfolk. Left fielder Yonder Alonso was 2-3 with one home run, two RBI and one run scored.
- Lexington native and former UK outfielder Collin Cowgill extended his hitting streak to 10 games with a 2-4 performance for AAA Reno. Cowgill posted his eighth multi-hit game during the streak and is batting .392 on the season with four home runs, 14 RBI and 21 runs scored.
- Hawesville native and former WKU infielder Wade Gaynor was 4-5 with two doubles, one triple and three runs scored for high A Lakeland.
- Former UK left-handed pitcher Andrew Albers earned his second win of the season with four and two-third scoreless innings of relief for high A Fort Myers.
- Louisville native and former WKU infielder Matt Payton made his season debut for high A Clearwater and was 3-4 with two runs scored.
- Former UofL infielder Chris Dominguez slugged his sixth home run of the season for high A San Jose.
- Lexington native and former UK outfielder John Shelby was 2-4 with one run scored for AA Montgomery.
- One-time UK infielder turned outfielder Jason Kipnis, who transferred to Arizona St., was 2-4 with one double, one walk, one RBI and two runs scored.
- Lexington Catholic alum Ben Revere was 2-5 with one run scored for AAA Rochester.
- Paducah native Eric Roof was 2-4 with one double, two RBI two runs scored and two walks.
Chris Dominguez; UofL Photo
Highlights from Monday Kentucky MiLB action:
- The Louisville Bats‘ blew a two-run ninth inning lead in a 6-5 loss to Toledo. Two-time National League All-Star Dontrelle Willis took a no decision despite surrendering just three runs on six hits in seven innings while striking out four batters and walking two.
- The Bowling Green Hot Rods used a strong pitching performance from right-handed pitcher Victor Mateo in a 2-1 win over South Bend. Mateo earned his first win after surrendering one run on four hits in six innings while striking out seven batters and walking two.
- The Lexington Legends scored a single run in the bottom of the 10th inning to earn a 7-6 win over Kannapolis in game one of the team’s homestand. Shortstop Jiovanni Mier and third baseman Michael Kvasnicka both homered for the Legends.
- Mt. Sterling native and former Morehead St. infielder Drew Lee was 3-4 with his first home run of the season, three RBI and one run scored for Kannapolis in the game.
- Walton native and former NKU outfielder Jake Shaffer extended his hitting streak to 11 games with a 2-5 performance for AA Jackson. Shaffer is batting .370 on the season.
- Lexington native and former UK outfielder Collin Cowgill was 3-4 with one double, two RBI and one run scored f0r AAA Reno. Cowgill has multiple hits in gour consecutive games.
- Louisville native and former UofL infielder Adam Duvall was 2-5 with two RBI for low A Augusta.
- Former UofL third baseman Chris Dominguez slugged his fifth home run of the season for high A San Jose.
- Lafayette High School alum Chaz Roe took a no decision after surrendering three runs on seven hits in five and two-third innings while striking out four batters and walking none for AAA Tacoma.
- Louisville native Seth Bynum homered for the second straight game and third time this season for AAA Syracuse.
- Trinity High School alum Tyler Kuhn was 2-4 with one home run, two RBI and two runs scored for AA Birmingham.
The Bowling Green Hot Rods have released the team’s 2011 Opening Day roster, which is headlined by a former UofL slugger. Check out the roster below with the town where the player resides and information about how he was acquired by the Rays:
- RHP Jairo De La Rosa — Santo Domingo, DR — FA (2002)
- RHP Nate Garcia — San Jose, Cal. — 16th round (2010)
- RHP Stephen Hiscock — Beacon Falls, Conn. — FA (2010)
- RHP Austin Hubbard — Auburn, Ala. — 14th round (2010)
- RHP George Jensen — Eagen, Minn. — 46th round (2010)
- RHP William Kline — Belden, Miss. — 2nd round (2007)
- LHP Braulio Lara — San Pedro de Macoris, DR — FA (2008)
- RHP Victor Mateo — Santo Domingo, DR — FA (2006)
- LHP Jimmy Patterson — Tempe, Ariz. — 18th round (2010)
- LHP Chris Rearick — Pooler, Ga. — 41st round (2010)
- LHP C. J. Riefenhauser — Mahopac, N.Y. — 20th round (2010)
- RHP Wilking Rodriguez — Puerto Cabello, VZ — FA 2007
- LHP Enny Romero — Santo Domingo, DR — FA 2008
- LHP Matthew Stabelfield — Turlock, Cal. — 41st round (2009)
- RHP Eliazer Suero — Haina, DR — FA 2007
- Lucas Bailey — LaGrange, Ga. — 4th round (2009)
- Kyle Holloway — Deerfield Beach, Fla. — FA (2001)
- Alejandro Torres — Caracas, VZ — FA (2006)
- Phil Wunderlich — Louisville, Ky. — 12th round (2010)
- Derek Dietrich — Clermont, Fla. — 2nd round (2010)
- Robi Estrada — El Segundo, Cal. — 19th round (2006)
- Hector Guevara — San Felix, VZ — FA (2008)
- Todd Glaesmann — Woodway, Tex. — 3rd round (2009)
- Kevin Klermaier — Ft. Wayne, Ind. — 31st round (2010)
- Cody Rogers — White Oak, Tex. — 7th round (2009)
- Nick Schwaner — Slidell, La. — 30th round (2010)