Richie Rowland; Photo: Campbellsville University
While draftees may have garnered most of the headlines Monday, current minor leaguers were also in action. Check out some highlights from Monday Kentucky MiLB play:
- The Bowling Green Hot Rods snapped a five-game losing streak with a 4-0 win over Great Lakes. Left-handed reliever Aaron Dott earned the win after holding the Loon scoreless on three hits in four innings.
- In the completion of a previously suspended game, the Lexington Legends mustered just five hits in a 5-3 loss to West Virginia. Right-handed reliever Wander Alvino took the loss after surrendering two unearned runs in three and two-third innings.
- In game two the Legends used seven innings of one run ball from left-handed pitcher Luis Cruz for a 7-1 win over the Power. Left fielder Jacob Goebbert was 2-3 with four RBI and a run scored.
- The Louisville Bats were off.
- Former Morehead St. shortstop and 2010 White Sox draftee Drew Lee was 3-5 with two home runs, three RBI and two runs scored for rookie-level Bristol.
- Former Campbellsville catcher and 2010 Diamondbacks’ NDFA Richie Rowland slugged his fifth home run of the season for rookie-level Missoula.
- Louisville native Seth Bynum slugged his 12th home run of the season for AAA Syracuse.
- Lexington native and 2010 Nationals draftee Tyler Oliver was 2-3 with a double, home run, five RBI and two runs scored for the rookie-level GCL Nationals.
- Former NKU right-handed pitcher Josh Lueke earned his first win for AA Tacoma and improved to 5-2 on the season with two innings of relief.
- Trinity High School alum Tyler Kuhn was 3-6 with a run scored and two walks in a double header for AA Birmingham.
In the third July awards post we’ll look at the best performances from the Lexington Legends for the month:
Hitter of the month: INF Andrew Simunic
- The Legends don’t boast many standout performances from July with two of their better hitters receiving promotions by the end of the month. However second baseman Andrew Simunic stands out above the remaining Legends with a .333 batting average, one home run, 13 RBI, 19 runs scored and three stolen bases in 24 July games.
- Honorable Mention: Jonathan Meyer, Jonathan Fixler, Jose Altuve, Jacob Goebbert
Pitcher of the month: LHP Luis Cruz
- Legends pitcher fared much better than their offensive counterparts during July with several standout performances. Chief among those performances was left-handed starting pitcher Luiz Cruz, who finished July at 3-1 with a 2.78 ERA in five starts. Cruz struck out struck out 28 and walked just five in 32 and one-third innings.
- Honorable Mention: Jose Cisnero, Juan Minaya, Wander Alvino, Kirk Clark
In the next June awards post we’ll look at the Lexington Legends:
Hitter of the month: 1B Aaron Bray
- Stats: 25-64 (.391), 16 RBI, 10 R
- Honorable Mention: Jacob Goebbert, Miguel Arrendell, Jose Altuve, J. D. Martinez
Pitcher of the month: RHP Zachary Grimmett
- Stats: 1-0, 1.80 ERA, 7 G, 28 SO/5 BB, 20 IP
- Honorable Mention: Luis Cruz, Wander Alvino, Jose Trinidad, Robert Donovan
May awards for the Lexington Legends:
Hitter of the month: OF J. D. Martinez
- Stats: 27-109 (.339), 5 HR, 22 RBI, 24 R
- Honorable Mention: Kody Hinze, Jose Altuve, Miguel Arrendell
Pitcher of the month: RHP Robert Donovan
- Stats: 3-1, 1.50 ERA, 5 GS, 10 SO, 23 IP
- Honorable Mention: Arcenio Leon, Jose Trinidad, Wander Alvino, David Duncan, Kirk Clark