Hunter Pence; Photo from Wikimedia Commons
Lexington Legends Hall of Famer Hunter Pence avoided arbitration with the Houston Astros by agreeing to a one-year contract worth $3.5 million. Pence is under club control for three more seasons. Hunter was named a 2009 National League All-Star and slugged a career high 25 home runs last season.
His fellow Legends Hall of Famer and Astros’ teammate Wandy Rodriguez has yet to agree on a 2010 contract with the team. (Read more from MLB.com)
Joey Votto; Photo from Wikimedia Commons
Tristan H. Cockcroft ESPN.com has released his preliminary rankings for the 2010 top 200 fantasy players. Clearly this list will change based on offseason movement and injuries before March, but it’s never too early to start preparing your fantasy draft. Here are the players with Kentucky ties on the list:
- 41) 1B Joey Votto — Louisville Bats — Cincinnati Reds
- 44) 3B Mark Reynolds — Pikevilly, Ky. — Arizona Diamondbacks
- 58) OF Adam Dunn — Louisville Bats — Washington Nationals
- 90) INF/OF Ben Zobrist — Lexington Legends — Tampa Bay Rays
- 100) OF Hunter Pence — Lexington Legends — Houston Astros
- 114) OF Jay Bruce — Louisville Bats — Cincinnati Reds
- 136) SP Wandy Rodriguez — Lexington Legends — Houston Astros
- 145) SP Brandon Webb — Ashland, Ky., UK — Arizona Diamondbacks
- 146) 2B Dan Uggla — Louisville, Ky. — Florida Marlins
- 177) 2B Felipe Lopez — Louisville Bats — FA
You can see Cockcroft’s full list here.
Corey Hart; Photo from Wikimedia Commons
We broke down the free agents with Kentucky ties earlier this month, but now I thought we’d look at the arbitration eligible players. Players with three to six years of service time, or designated as “super twos,” are eligible for a salary raise through arbitration. Teams then chose whether to offer these players a contract for the coming season, though the salary generally can’t be less than 80 percent of the previous year’s salary. Some players receive huge raises in arbitration leading smaller market teams to trade them. So if you’re looking for trade candidates or non-tender candidates this is a good place to start.
- RHP Joe Blanton — UK — Philadelphia Phillies
- C John Buck — Lexington Legends — Kansas City Royals
- RHP Jared Burton — Louisville Bats — Cincinnati Reds
- RHP Todd Coffey — Louisville Bats — Milwaukee Brewers
- OF Corey Hart — Bowling Green, Ky. — Milwaukee Brewers
- OF Hunter Pence — Lexington Legends — Houston Astros
- RHP Wandy Rodriguez — Lexington Legends — Houston Astros
- 2B Dan Uggla — Louisville, Ky. — Florida Marlins
Here’s the full arbitration list on MLB.com.