- Madison Central
- St. Xavier
- Central Hardin
- Lexington Catholic
- Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Pleasure Ridge Park
- Covington Catholic
- Tates Creek
- Bryan Station
- Harrison County
- Allen County Scottsville
- Woodford County
- Lawrence County
- Henderson County
- Warren East
- DuPont Manual High School prep Craig Pearcy signed with Morehead State University, St. X pitchers Ian Tompkins and Matt Spalding signed with Western Kentucky University, St. X pitcher Ryan Loehnert signed with the University of Kentucky and Manual prep Dalton Brown signed with Spalding, Jody Demling of the Courier-Journal reports.
- Bill Harrison of the Chicago Tribune reports Chicago prep Jeff Boehm of Mount Carmel High School signed with the UK.
- Warren East High School infielder/pitcher Mark Briggs signed with the University of Louisville, the Bowling Green Daily News reports.
- Erik Hall of the News Tribune reports Illinois preps Mason Snyder and Joey Ceja both signed with UofL.
The trade deadline for Kentucky baseball players ended up being a lot of smoke with the biggest names among rumored trade candidates (Corey Hart and Scott Downs) staying put. Neither player figures to clear waivers in August, so unless a deal is worked out with whatever team claims them both could spend the rest of the season with their current teams. Check out some links from around Kentucky baseball about stories that did happen over the weekend:
- If Bowling Green native Corey Hart has his way he won’t be staying with the Brewers only through the end of the season. Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports Hart wants a contract extension since Milwaukee decided not to trade him before the deadline.
- Chad Bishop of the Bowling Green Daily News reports Warren East High School rising senior pitcher/third baseman Mark Biggs has committed to play collegiate baseball at the University of Louisville.
- The Lexington Legends made several important roster moves over the weekend, headlined by the promotion of South Atlantic League all-star infielder Jose Altuve to high A Lancaster. Infielder Barry Butera switched places with Altuve, moving from Lancaster to Lexington, and infielder Jimmy Paredes, acquired by the Astros in the Lance Berkman trade with the Yankees, was added to the Legends’ roster.
- John Manuel of Baseball America profiles Paredes in his breakdown of the Berkman trade.
- Western Kentucky University has announced a showcase for high school players for September 5 at Nick Denes Field.
- In case you are still a little fuzzy about how major league players can still be traded after the July 31 “trade deadline” check out this very useful explanation of the process from the always great MLBTradeRumors.
- Josh Cook, writing for the Courier-Journal, recaps the Louisville Bats Saturday win over Louisville natives Marty Popham and Jeremy Sowers of the Columbus Clippers.
Perfect Game USA has released its preseason high school underclassmen All-American lists, and several Kentucky preps were included in the honorable mention category. I’ve listed those below with graduation year, but you can see the full team here. (Hat tip to Adam Revelette of Examiner.com.)
Mark Biggs — Warren East (2011)
Zach Clooney — St. Xavier (2011)
Chandler Shepherd — Lawrence County (2011)
Matt Spalding — St. Xavier (2011)
Chase Armstrong- Lexington Catholic (2012)
Zach Arnold- Franklin County (2012)
Michael Bollmer- Bryan Station (2012)
Beau Bouthilette- Elizabethtown (2011)
Clay Cinnamon- Mercer County (2011)
Jeremy Cline- Warren Central (2011)
Spencer Drake- Eastern (2012)
Ryan Fucci- Tates Creek (2012)
Kevin Herren- Lafayette (2012)
Matt Honchel- Harrodsburg (2011)
Will Hurt- Lexington Catholic (2012)
Tyler Jackson- Lexington Catholic (2012)
Jackson Laumann- Boone County (2011)
Matt McGowan- University Heights (2011)
Logan McQuerry- George Rogers Clark (2012)
Dalton Mellott- Ohio County (2011)
Cody Moore- Lawrence County (2011)
Logan Shaftner- Lafayette (2011)
Blake Smith- Lafayette (2011)
Andrew Willinger- St. Xavier (2012)