The big news of the night was Brian Pellegrini matching the Legends’ single-season home run record, but that wasn’t the only BluGrass Baseball storyline from Tuesday. Check out those stories in today’s hot links:
- Kyeong Kang picked up in September where he left off in August with two doubles, but Bowling Green fell 3-0 to Greenville.
- Brian Pellegrini tied the single-season home run record in Lexington’s 3-1 victory over Asheville.
- Louisville didn’t look much like a division champion in a 9-2 loss to Columbus.
- Baseball America ranked Kentucky native and Arkansas third baseman Zach Cox as the second best prospect in the prestigious Cape Cod League (subscriber only).
- Yahoo Sports’ Kendall Rogers picks UK and UofL as two of his 30 baseball teams to watch for 2010.
Thursday saw a chance for some of the brightest college baseball stars to showcase their skills on won of the most historic fields in the country. See which former Kentucky high school star took home MVP honors in the Cape Cod All-Star game at Fenway Park in today’s links:
- PRP alum and current Arkansas third baseman Zach Cox was the star of the rain-shortened Cape Cod League All-Star game with 2 RBI Thursday. Baseball America reports Cox was named the MVP of the game.
- The Legends split a double header with Lake County.
- Anthony Scelfo hit two home runs in Bowling Green’s 10-5 victory over Hagerstown.
- Ben Jukich wasn’t quite Mark Buehrle, but he was perfect through five innings in Louisville’s 3-1 victory over Buffalo.
- The Reds’ official Web site profiles Louisville outfielder Chris Hesiey.
- Thursday was the 91st anniversary of the birth of Kentucky baseball legend Pee Wee Reese.
Two alums of Kentucky high schools were named to the all-star team in the prestigious Cape Cod summer league. Infielder Zach Cox, the former PRP standout, and pitcher Patrick Cooper of Danville, Ky., were both named to the West team.
Cox is a rising sophomore at Arkansas and Cooper attended Des Moines Community College last year after attending EKU his freshman season. Cooper is commited to attend Bradley in the fall and was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 34th round.
Cox is batting .388 with seven RBI and Cooper is 1-1 with 0.52 ERA. The Cape Cod League All-Star game will be held at Fenway Park Thursday.