Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- The University of Louisville is ranked No. 21 in the preseason ESPN/USA Today coaches’ poll.
- Courier-Journal columnist Eric Crawford reports UofL is close to completing a plan to double the size of Jim Patterson Stadium, the home of the baseball Cards.
- UofL has also announced its 2011 television schedule, including two national games on CBS College Sports. The April 12 game vs. the University of Kentucky will be aired throughout the state on the Wazoo Sports Network.
- Angela Brandt of the Helena Independent Record reports the Hillerich & Bradsby Co., owner of Louisville Slugger, is appealing an $800,000 jury award for “the family of a teenage pitcher who died from injuries sustained when a batted ball struck him in the temple.” The jury ruled against Hillerich & Bradsby because they said the company should have warned the bat user about its danger. The company disputes that reasoning.
- The Dallas Morning News notes former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb is selling used cards in Ashland this offseason.
- Benjamin Hill of MiLB.com profiles 2010 Bowling Green Hot Rods outfielder Cody Rodgers, who is working this offseason as a prosthetic technician. In case you don’t recognize the career, Ross is making artificial limbs.