Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- The Southeastern Conference coaches have picked the University of Kentucky to finish fourth in the SEC East.
- The Ohio Valley Conference announced Tuesday that beginning in 2012 teams, including Eastern Kentucky University, Morehead State University and Murray State University, will play Friday, Saturday, Sunday series in conference play.
- The OVC has also posted the audio from its preseason teleconference with 10-minute segments from EKU head coach Jason Stein, Morehead St. head coach Jay Sorg and Murray St. head coach Rob McDonald. The three Ky. OVC coaches said little in the way of breaking news, but Stein did confirm freshmen Byran Soloman and Sean Hagen would start for the Colonels. Sorg also noted the senior Trey Smith, redshirt junior Josh Schneider and sophomore Cody Gibson are the favorites to begin the season in the weekend rotation.
- Troy E. Renck profiles on right-handed pitcher Aaron Cook, who was born in Fort Campbell, and his improved mechanics.
- Seth Livingston of USA Today profiles former UK right-handed pitcher Joe Blanton, who he call’s the “forgotten man” in the Phillies’ all-star rotation.
- Seth Stohs of the The Star-Tribune lists Lexington Catholic alum Ben Revere among the 2011 impact prospects for the Twins, noting Revere could step into center field and the leadoff spot if Denard Span goes is injured.
- Ken Fidlin of the Toronto Sun breaks down the four-way battle for the Blue Jays closer, which includes former Morehead St. right-handed pitcher Jon Rauch.